My SOA and Situation Realisation

Options

Comments

• foreverdieting
    foreverdieting Posts: 14 Forumite
    edited 10 April 2019 at 10:23AM
    Options
    Well done for realising your position and doing something about it.

Is increasing your mortgage a possibility, as this will be a lot cheaper interest wise than paying interest on credit cards. I know you will pay it over a longer period of time, but most mortgages allow at least a 10% overpayment each year if you're on a fixed rate, if not you can pay chunks off as you go along.

If this isn't an option and you think your credit rating is really bad it might be worth going to a debt charity and asking them to negotiate with the card companies on your behalf. They may be able to get the interest suspended and arrange a payment plan for you.

Whatever happens you will be in a much better position this time next year and should feel proud of yourself.

Good luck.
  • shteca
    shteca Posts: 120 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    I could look to increase my mortgage as there is equity in my flat but the thing is I have promised myself no more borrowing. I can’t keep borrowing myself out of debt.
    Another thing is moving the debt to my home will mean taking it from unsecured to secure debt which I don’t think is better and without paying off debt my mindset towards it may not change.
    I am 100% focused on just paying off as much as possible each month. With my income being irregular it is difficult.
    Debt Fully Paid Off (20/06/2019): £54,441.87
    Dave Ramsey is my financial guru!
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,318 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    You are awesome.
    What an amazing amount to pay off in a short time :)
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,595 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    shteca wrote: »
    I could look to increase my mortgage as there is equity in my flat but the thing is I have promised myself no more borrowing. I can’t keep borrowing myself out of debt.
    Another thing is moving the debt to my home will mean taking it from unsecured to secure debt which I don’t think is better and without paying off debt my mindset towards it may not change.
    I am 100% focused on just paying off as much as possible each month. With my income being irregular it is difficult.

I could not agree more with this. You are doing a great job of getting rid of this debt. No need to increase your mortgage.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • shteca
    Options
    Huge milestone for me today!!
    I just paid off my £7,500 NatWest overdraft and called them to cancel it!
    I have been working on this immense mountain of debt for the past six months first focusing on clearing some smaller debts but this has been one of the hardest to clear or budget for. It was an every day reminder of how hard the journey is. Every day looking at my phone and seeing my balance say a - and not knowing the best way to clear it.
    Now logging in to see £129 in my account is the most amazing thing. I almost feel like a normal person again. I feel like I can start my journey properly and budget correctly.
    I am no where near being debt free. I still have a mountain of debt that scares the socks off me and motivates me every day but this was a huge moment for me.
    Thank you everyone for the support so far.
    Only £22,000 in consumer debt to go. Sure does beat £54,000 I had a year ago!!
  • Mnd
    Mnd Posts: 1,699 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Well done, and thanks for the feed back
    No.79 save £12k in 2020. Total end May £11610
    Annual target £24000
  • Singlespeeder
    Singlespeeder Posts: 267 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Great going ! Great to read the successes too. Clearing an OD is a huge milestone and incredible psychological step forward. Literally helps to stay positive + :)
    Keeping moving forward.
    DEBT FREE - Feb '21
    • Mortgage March '21 -£130,000
    • Mortgage now - £81,187
    • Mortgage daily interest Nov £4.60 Dec £4.57 Jan £4.54 Feb £4.52 March £4.49 April £4.46 June £3.97 August £3.91
  • Gettingtherequickly
    Options
    That is an amazing achievement! Well done! If you update your signature, it will give you another boost to see the balances have reversed :)
    A smile costs little but creates much :)
  • shteca
    Options
    MND, SingleSpeeder, GettingThereQuickly

THANK YOU ALL!

I am going to update my signature now
  • Pip_Boy_111
    Pip_Boy_111 Posts: 185 Forumite
    First Anniversary Savvy Shopper! PPI Party Pooper Energy Saving Champion
    Options
    Hi. Just checking in again. Been a while since I left you a WELL DONE!
    Great achievement with the OD and you've paid off how much??? :eek:
    Awesome. Keep it going. :T
    Debts 14/6/2019 (LBM 5/3/2019)
    Overdraft: [STRIKE]£900[/STRIKE]/£0:T Barclaycard: [STRIKE]£3755.55[/STRIKE]/£2859.42 Loan: [STRIKE]£21620.29[/STRIKE]/£17997.19
    Total[STRIKE] £26275.84[/STRIKE] £20856.61 (REDUCED BY 20.62%)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure