My SOA and Situation Realisation

Options

Comments

• DrSpendLittle
    Options
    Great to hear back from you and find out how you are doing! I too was wondering how you'd got on, especially with shifting that pesky vroom vroom :)

You now have a whooping £22,512 less debt that you did 8 months ago. That must feel great! Fantastic job!

Just goes to show how much your life can be turned around by intentional spending, deferred gratification and a good dose of hard work.

Keep on keeping on!

DSL
  • enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,595 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Fantastic. What a turn around. £22500 paid off in less than a year just by being more aware of their spending
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • EssexHebridean
    EssexHebridean Posts: 21,372 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Shteca well done - what an inspiration!
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    shteca wrote: »
    No we share the time with the kids 50/50
    I pay her £300 a month...

You know you are not obliged to pay her anything if you split the kids 50/50. The divorce machine will have you thinking otherwise though...
  • shteca
    shteca Posts: 120 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Great to hear back from you and find out how you are doing! I too was wondering how you'd got on, especially with shifting that pesky vroom vroom :)
    You now have a whooping £22,512 less debt that you did 8 months ago. That must feel great! Fantastic job!
    Just goes to show how much your life can be turned around by intentional spending, deferred gratification and a good dose of hard work.
    Keep on keeping on!
    DSL
    Thank you Dr! I should have updated sooner but as you know, life and all. I will make an effort to update and I am coming to an end of my credit card debt so that will be a big moment for me then.
    Appreciate all your kind words and support
    With regards to yourself, I noticed in your signature you mention having just £2k in debts but £1k in savings.
    Why not just use the savings to clear it down to £1 debt and make a bulk payment and clear completely?
    Debt Fully Paid Off (20/06/2019): £54,441.87
    Dave Ramsey is my financial guru!
  • shteca
    Options
    Fantastic. What a turn around. £22500 paid off in less than a year just by being more aware of their spending
    THANK YOU! This forum has been amazing. It has been a huge mind shift for my and made me think of finances and money in a completely different way. I was sick and tired of being sick and tired.
    I never said no to myself and this has taught me a life lesson.
    I will keep updating as time goes on. Can't wait for that to say "paid of £50k debt!"
  • shteca
    Options
    You know you are not obliged to pay her anything if you split the kids 50/50. The divorce machine will have you thinking otherwise though...
    I find the whole divorce process a nightmare. Luckily we have avoided courts or my debt would be far higher I am sure but still at the moment it is working. We have an arrangement with everything and she can be FAR more difficult so I consider it paying for peace.
  • shteca
    Options
    Shteca well done - what an inspiration!
    Thank you so much. This forum and the journey it has taken me on has changed my life. So THANK YOU!
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    shteca wrote: »
    I find the whole divorce process a nightmare. Luckily we have avoided courts or my debt would be far higher I am sure but still at the moment it is working. We have an arrangement with everything and she can be FAR more difficult so I consider it paying for peace.

So what do you actually receive for your £300 per month other than cooperation?
  • Verityspinelli
    Verityspinelli Posts: 82 Forumite
    edited 28 January 2019 at 10:19PM
    Options
    So what do you actually receive for your £300 per month other than cooperation?
    To be fair OP is right, she could be more difficult, she could’ve only let him see them every other weekend and then taken him to the cleaners in maintenance payments, he is giving his children on average, (when they are with his ex) £10.00 a day each, yes he does have them 50% of the time and yes he is having to live on a budget but he got himself into debt so has no choice but to budget. His ex probably isn’t budgeting so It is unlikely he is going to convince her to shop at Aldi or to go on a budget herself, so he’s going to have to bite the bullet on that one. I am sure when his ex has them it’ll be costing her money as well. At least he can live in the knowledge that his children are not going without. If she went through the C.S.A or whatever they call it now they will just go on his highest earnings and they won’t even take his debt into consideration I think on his income he’d be made to pay £300 + a WEEK, Wrong I know but I think £300 co-operation money a month is a good move for him.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure