My SOA and Situation Realisation

Options

Comments

• Verityspinelli
    Options
    Oh and well done to you O P you’ve made excellent progress, keep up the good work.
  • BenWyvis1
    Options
    Felt compelled to register just to say what an inspiration your journey has been. I'm pretty much in exactly the same position as yourself (minus the kids) in terms of income and debt, and reading your post has given me a right boost with lots of ideas. Cheers mate, and keep it up!!

Ben :-)
  • EssexHebridean
    Options
    shteca wrote: »
    Thank you Dr! I should have updated sooner but as you know, life and all. I will make an effort to update and I am coming to an end of my credit card debt so that will be a big moment for me then.
    Appreciate all your kind words and support
    With regards to yourself, I noticed in your signature you mention having just £2k in debts but £1k in savings.
    Why not just use the savings to clear it down to £1 debt and make a bulk payment and clear completely?

Two words - Emergency Fund. ;)
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
  • shteca
    shteca Posts: 120 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Two words - Emergency Fund. ;)
    *doh* of course!!
    Excellent work!!
    Debt Fully Paid Off (20/06/2019): £54,441.87
    Dave Ramsey is my financial guru!
  • shteca
    Options
    BenWyvis1 wrote: »
    Felt compelled to register just to say what an inspiration your journey has been. I'm pretty much in exactly the same position as yourself (minus the kids) in terms of income and debt, and reading your post has given me a right boost with lots of ideas. Cheers mate, and keep it up!!
    Ben :-)
    Thank you Ben. Knowing other people out there are in similar situation + supporting me makes all the difference. I come back to the MSE forum just to update my situation and to keep myself responsible for my actions. Maybe worth you doing it as well. It feels great when you get it off your chest and write it down.
    Hope you are seeing some progress too.
  • shteca
    Options
    A quick April 2019 update!
    Progress is being made, I am now at below £30,000 of debt. Total now stands at £27,274.55 as of this month.
    Main thing has been paying off more of my £7,500 overdraft. This has been extremely costly for me at around £130/month in interest and I have made big progress in clearing this down this month to it now standing at £3,500.
    I had a good month with work and with getting rid of some of the other borrowings it has meant I have had more money to throw at my overdraft.
    With it coming down too the interest payment has come down again meaning more going off the balance.
    I am hoping to have this cleared this month as long as work continues to be as good and at which point I could finally close the thing down and NEVER open it back up again.
  • enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,595 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Well done and reducing that overdraft is certainly worth it as they are a really expensive way of borrowing. You have paid off almost 50% of your unsecured debt since last May. If you keep it up you should be debt free in about a year. I agree about getting rid of the overdraft. Never used one thankfully. Most people say they are the worst debt to get rid of.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • shteca
    Options
    I agree! It is so difficult as my brain always sees the available balance rather than the actual balance so it’s easy to keep spending the money.
    It is also such an expensive form of borrowing and getting rid of it for ever is going to be a huge moment for me.
    When I look at my figures it also makes up a large percentage of my debt so getting rid will be a milestone.
    Good on you not taking out an overdraft. I went full idiot with my borrowing
  • Pip_Boy_111
    Pip_Boy_111 Posts: 185 Forumite
    First Anniversary Savvy Shopper! PPI Party Pooper Energy Saving Champion
    Options
    shteca wrote: »
    I agree! It is so difficult as my brain always sees the available balance rather than the actual balance so it’s easy to keep spending the money.
    It is also such an expensive form of borrowing and getting rid of it for ever is going to be a huge moment for me.
    When I look at my figures it also makes up a large percentage of my debt so getting rid will be a milestone.
    Good on you not taking out an overdraft. I went full idiot with my borrowing

This. A thousand times this. This was the biggest thing with me too with all available credit. The biggest change I made that helped was changing this attitude.
    Had to post just to say your progress and attitude is truly inspiring. A real advert for knuckling down and getting at it :T
    As always with these diaries, it not only helps you, but others (like me) with inadvertent support and ideas. Not to mention inspiration when you hit the inevitable low moments, where it feels as though everything is a grind after the initial surge of enthusiasm has worn off. Thank you :beer:
    Debts 14/6/2019 (LBM 5/3/2019)
    Overdraft: [STRIKE]£900[/STRIKE]/£0:T Barclaycard: [STRIKE]£3755.55[/STRIKE]/£2859.42 Loan: [STRIKE]£21620.29[/STRIKE]/£17997.19
    Total[STRIKE] £26275.84[/STRIKE] £20856.61 (REDUCED BY 20.62%)
  • shteca
    Options
    This. A thousand times this. This was the biggest thing with me too with all available credit. The biggest change I made that helped was changing this attitude.
    Had to post just to say your progress and attitude is truly inspiring. A real advert for knuckling down and getting at it :T
    As always with these diaries, it not only helps you, but others (like me) with inadvertent support and ideas. Not to mention inspiration when you hit the inevitable low moments, where it feels as though everything is a grind after the initial surge of enthusiasm has worn off. Thank you :beer:
    Thanks Pip Boy, keeping coming back to the Forum and reminding myself of why I am doing this and knowing I am not alone is such a motivator for me. I just keep thinking of the final result.
    Thanks for keeping in touch.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills