Car insurance renewal 300% difference in quotes.

edited 29 July 2018 at 11:24AM in Insurance & Life Assurance
4 replies 565 views
jon2012jon2012 Forumite
17 Posts
edited 29 July 2018 at 11:24AM in Insurance & Life Assurance
My 18 year old son will have 1 years no claims next month on his 1.25 fiesta.
He will not know until he receives his A level results next month if he will carry on being a student or go into full time employment with a job offer he has received.
The insurance quotes for a student with many insurance companies including Admiral are coming out around the £800 mark.
If he goes into full time employment and enters a job title the insurance shoots up to around £2400.
I though student car insurance was more expensive but these quotes contradict this and a 300% increase is ridiculous.
Has anyone else has this issue and found a legal way around it or have an explanation for the premium difference.

Thanks in advance.

Replies

• keith1950keith1950
    2.6K Posts
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    I hope when you did these dummy quotes you did so anonymously?.
    If insurers think you are playing around with "occupation" it will eventually be flagged up as fraudulent.
  • QuentinQuentin Forumite
    40.4K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Different occupations affect premiums differently

See the MSE job picker tool to see if changing the title will reduce the premium:https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/insurance/car-insurance-job-picker/

(As advised, use dummy details when playing with quotes!)
  • dunstonhdunstonh Forumite
    106.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Some of those changes could be down to the anti-fraud measures kicking in. Many providers have software that increases the pricing (often significantly) where people change key data on high-risk areas of fraud. Such as occupation.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • daveyjpdaveyjp Forumite
    10.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The premium difference is because students must have fewer claims than those in whatever occupation you chose.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Energy price cap could be extended beyond 2023

New plans have just been announced by the Government

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs

MSE Deals