Noticed some changes? You can read all about the improvements we've made on the Forum in our latest announcement. We also have a new set of Forum rules so please take the time to give them a read and familiarise yourself.

Unable to print.

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Techie Stuff
16 replies 1.2K views
ohreallyohreally Forumite
7.5K Posts
✭✭✭✭
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Techie Stuff
Until a couple of days ago, printing has never been an issue, always worked as normal. I had word documents to print of however they are sitting in the print queue but not printing.

Printer (HP) is working, as a maintenance print carries out ok.

Any thoughts before I launch it out the window?
Don’t be a can’t, be a can.

Replies

• BrowntoaBrowntoa Forumite, Board Guide
    48.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    WiFi Printer or direct usb ?

If WiFi , restart wireless hub then restart printer and any connected devices

Try again
    Links in my signature currently broken
    I'm the Board Guide of the ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's , Boost your income and Discount Code boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum runnning smoothly .However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to [email protected] Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.[
  • neilmclneilmcl Forumite
    18.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is it a wireless printer?

First thing I'd do is shut down the printer and clear the print queue manually by cancelling and deleting all print jobs. Reboot your wifi hub and once up and running reboot your PC then switch your printer back on and try a test print.
  • ohreallyohreally Forumite
    7.5K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sorry, its wired, cable ok in other device.
  • neilmclneilmcl Forumite
    18.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ohreally wrote: »
    Sorry, its wired, cable ok in other device.
    OK, just do the above without the wifi hub bit then :)
  • Carrot007Carrot007 Forumite
    4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    however they are sitting in the print queue but not printing.

Well if the printer is working (I am assuming this is maintenancec print from windows not on the printer its self), is the print queue paused?
  • BrowntoaBrowntoa Forumite, Board Guide
    48.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Roll back to an earlier restore point on windows to when it last worked , been another batch of windows updates in the last week
    Links in my signature currently broken
    I'm the Board Guide of the ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's , Boost your income and Discount Code boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum runnning smoothly .However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to [email protected] Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.[
  • edited 29 July 2018 at 12:25PM
    peterbakerpeterbaker
    3.1K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 29 July 2018 at 12:25PM
    Browntoa wrote: »
    Roll back to an earlier restore point on windows to when it last worked , been another batch of windows updates in the last week
    How frequently does Windows10 create restore points - can they be found for every update, or just major updates of which I am aware of only two, even though I agree there was some kind of update one day (I forget which) this past week that seemed not to offer me much chance of controlling it myself.

And is there a shortcut to the right part of windows to instantly see the available restore points?

Windows10 default search sitting in the Quickstart Bar uses Microsoft's Bing yet the top hit for me is some obscure out of date non-Microsoft suggestion to go via Start> All Programs> Accessories> System Tools> System Restore

My W10 no longer has an Accessories folder. Yes it has Windows Accessories but there is no System Tools in it, and not in Windows Administrative Tools either, so what gives?

Edit: Ah found it via a long and circuitous route, and hey presto there was an automatic restore point made yesterday ... but despite this W10 installation (Home Edition) being over 2 years old and coming as an automatic free upgrade on a new Asus Windows 8 computer, and beyond that, never reinstalled by me, there are no other restore points shown whatsoever.

The least circuitous route is I think via Start> Settings>(use the cog icon) Find a setting> {type: "restore point" and Enter} but DO NOT choose the first option Reset PC. Choose the second "Create a Restore Point" even though you do not wish to create one - you want to find one!

You will then find yourself opening a window that looks like it originated several Windows versions past, maybe XP or older!

You then choose a button that says System Restore, then another which says Next, and finally ...

Oh wait, you can check a box to show more restore points ... I actually have a total of four ... none of them before 14 th July 2018 on what I think was a summer 2016 purchased laptop ... d'uh!

... if you are lucky you may find a restore point you might dare to use:p

I don't think I would dare for fear of losing use of my PC for some indeterminable period while it does whatever it might think it is allowed to do ... at best!
  • ohreallyohreally Forumite
    7.5K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Restore seems to have done the trick.
  • DandytfDandytf Forumite
    3.6K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Until a couple of days ago, printing has never been an issue, always worked as normal. I had word documents to print of however they are sitting in the print queue but not printing.

Any thoughts before I launch it out the window?

Delete or clear the printing queue.
    Replenished CRA Reports.
    Mid 2018 Help2save 50 uk pounds per month
    H.L. Active -Charter Savings .41% 25 u.k. pounds.
  • peterbakerpeterbaker
    3.1K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Restore seems to have done the trick.
    What restore point dates were available to you? Same as mine by any chance (4 points only 14 July through 28 July?)
This discussion has been closed.
Latest News and Guides

New plastic £50 note in circulation

Inventor and codebreaker Alan Turing is pictured

MSE News

TV MoneySaving tricks

How to save on Sky, Netflix, Now TV, Prime Video and more

MSE Guides

Pret subscription loophole

Get a month's worth of free smoothies, frappes, coffee etc

MSE Deals