Not being able to afford potentially huge vet bills

Options

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,095 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 30 July 2018 at 8:41AM
    Options
    However, i do think its rather selfish owning three dogs when you cant afford to treat one.

In fairness when we had our 2 hubby was earning in excess of £1000 a week, times and earnings change and now they are in their senior years they are costing us a fortune in medication.... in our case, hubby can still afford it and our girls will not go without, even if it means we go without ourselves but there wont be any more dogs when these two 'go', for many reasons including the cost.
  • seven-day-weekend
    seven-day-weekend Posts: 36,755 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I think if you really can't afford the vet bills then you have no alternative but to have the animal put down. I think that being in debt for years is not an answer. I would also properly insure the other dogs because the same thing may happen with them. If you can't afford that, then rehome them and don't have any more.
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
    Member #10 of £2 savers club
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
  • Red-Squirrel_2
    Red-Squirrel_2 Posts: 4,341 Forumite
    Options
    Would just like to say how completely disgusted I am that MSE edited my post for so called !!!8216;abuse!!!8217; but have ignored all these people saying it!!!8217;s ok to kill a dog because you don!!!8217;t want to pay the vet bill.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,095 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Would just like to say how completely disgusted I am that MSE edited my post for so called !!!8216;abuse!!!8217; but have ignored all these people saying it!!!8217;s ok to kill a dog because you don!!!8217;t want to pay the vet bill.
    Their website, their rules unfortunately.
  • Red-Squirrel_2
    Options
    Judi wrote: »
    Their website, their rules unfortunately.

Very unfortunately.
  • AylesburyDuck
    Options
    I can borrow the money on a credit card, but I already have some card debt and don't want to spent the next 10 years paying it back. I fear doing an MRI scan only to then find out the treatment after that will be many many thousands more.

The vet today has said there's a chance he could improve after 7-10 days rest in the dog cage. They are doing an x-ray tomorrow too, but warned it won't show up as much as an MRI.

The insurance is Animal Friend's Basic policy. It's £500, but less a £99 excess. I have two other dogs and given that they've been relatively young, I've not had massive vet bills aside from dental cleaning. I intended to upgrade cover and was looking into it just last week, but ultimately not in time to prevent this.

Just feel at a loss as to knowing what's the best thing to do.
    So long as your dog isnt in pain (make sure the vet covers pain needs) is there any problems with doing the cage rest first and then moving on to MRI if it's needed.
    Or otherwise why would he mention it if it wasnt an option.
    Best case, your worrying over something that isnt needed this very second and may not even be needed.
    Worst case, you revisit this in 10 days and stick it on your credit card, because thats the right thing to do.
    Fully paid up member of the ignore button club.
    If it walks like a Duck, quacks like a Duck, it's a Duck.
  • comeandgo
    comeandgo Posts: 5,748 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    For those saying pay up, at what cost does it then become let the dog go in peace? 10k, 50k, 100k? Insurances have a maximum. Unfortunately in life we have to look after ourselves first and be as humane as possible next.
  • AylesburyDuck
    Options
    comeandgo wrote: »
    For those saying pay up, at what cost does it then become let the dog go in peace? 10k, 50k, 100k? Insurances have a maximum. Unfortunately in life we have to look after ourselves first and be as humane as possible next.
    Depends on circumstance i would think, and could be *how long is a piece of string"......
    A/ Does it cure the dog
    B/Does it extend life to a high quality
    C/Does it extend life with little improvement
    D/Does the dog have great insurance
    E/Does the owner have deep pockets
    F/And probably a dozen more "does the" questions
    Tick all above that apply
    Too many variables to give the answer a quantity.
    Fully paid up member of the ignore button club.
    If it walks like a Duck, quacks like a Duck, it's a Duck.
  • Red-Squirrel_2
    Options
    comeandgo wrote: »
    Unfortunately in life we have to look after ourselves first and be as humane as possible next.

Don’t ever get an animal.
  • maisie_cat
    maisie_cat Posts: 2,069 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Academoney Grad First Post
    Options
    Primrose wrote: »
    I,m going to tell you what you realky don,t want to hear.
    I think the sad reality is that you probably can't afford what is needed to give your dog the care it needs given the potentially life threatening problem it has. There is no guarantee, even if you ay out for expensive tests or treatment that your dog will be able to stand or walk independently again. If this is the case, is this the life you would want for it ?

If you are in debt, it,s really a luxury keeping three dogs, give their ongoing cost and vetinerary maintenance.
    Unless you have a family member who is prepared to bail you out, I think having it put to sleep is possibly the only viable option.
    I must agree here, even spending a fortune of tests may result in the same outcome. I spent £1500 on one of the cats last year and she still deteriorated to the point that she couldn't stand easily and the only fair thing was to put her to sleep. I do feel for you, the dog is the most important thing here.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure