Advice on a default

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Credit File & Ratings
5 replies 456 views
coles88coles88 Forumite
20 Posts
10 Posts Second Anniversary
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Credit File & Ratings
Hi,

I'm looking for some advice on a regrettable issue! I was silly with a credit account in my early 20s and let the account default. I've compounded that silliness in recent years by ignoring it, but am trying to sort it now.

The default is with a debt collector and shows on my credit account from October 2013, but I've not communicated with them in this time.

I understand that a default drops off your credit file after 6 years - but also that if I continue to ignore it, they might apply for a CCJ when the 6 year expiration date approaches (which would be October 2019).

If I get in touch with them and pay it off now, will that effectively re-set the 6 year date so that it stays on my credit file 'til 2024 because I've acknowledged it? And if so, am I better off waiting to see if they do bother with a CCJ next year? I read somewhere that if they did apply for a CCJ last minute and I paid the debt off then, that it wouldn't re-start the 6 year period. Is this true?!

Any advice on my best action to minimise the future impact of the debt would be much appreciated.

Thank you!

Replies

This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Students - apply for uni funding NOW

If you plan to get a place via 'clearing'

MSE News

A guide to council tax bands

Lower your band & save £1,000s

MSE Guides