MSE News: Energy firm Iresa ceases trading - here's what it means for customers

Options

Comments

• Alias_Omega
    Alias_Omega Posts: 7,912 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Limara wrote: »
    I am so sick and fed up with entering details to show how much I will save BUT when the unit price and the standing charge for both Gas and Electric is considerably more than Iresa how on the earth can any of them be a saving! ( Its always done this long before switch over so its not even taking into account the new prices)

Yeah,

I have created a quick spreadsheet. Simple maths... 1000kwh per month (unrealistic) and 31 days per month. Makes easy maths..

I currently have -

Iresa Flex 5
    Elec = £119.46 per month
    Gas = £32.60 per month

Yorkshire (Butterfly 12M)
    Elec = £130.11 pm
    Gas = £33.86 pm

Bulb (Variable)
    Elec = £131.51 pm
    Gas = £35.73 pm

Octopus (Variable)
    Elec = 149.82 pm
    Gas = £34.51 pm

Im going to keep going...

Prices are based in Yorkshire / Lincolnshire.
  • beardiedog
    beardiedog Posts: 658 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    gardner1 wrote: »
    It tells you at bottom of email to use Aug 1st reading

I know, it also says if you don't have the readings from 1st August, use today's or the nearest you have to the 1st August.

It was just an initial thought that I might get an extra few days at Iresa rates but then decided it wasn't the right thing to do considering I'd already input readings last week.
  • Mister_G
    Mister_G Posts: 1,927 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Like others, I had the Octopus email this morning.

Looking at my last Iresa statement on line, it showed a 'deemed' reading of 21875 on 1st August. I had sent them a reading on 26th July showing an actual 21783, so their 'deemed' guess wasn't far out.

My actual reading on 1st August was 21880, so that was the reading that I sent them today. I am in credit to the tune of about £90, so hopefully will get some sort of refund once I leave them.

I can't wait for 21st August! Yorkshire Energy here I come!
  • beardiedog
    beardiedog Posts: 658 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Mister_G wrote: »
    Like others, I had the Octopus email this morning.

Looking at my last Iresa statement on line, it showed a 'deemed' reading of 21875 on 1st August. I had sent them a reading on 26th July showing an actual 21783, so their 'deemed' guess wasn't far out.

My actual reading on 1st August was 21880, so that was the reading that I sent them today. I am in credit to the tune of about £90, so hopefully will get some sort of refund once I leave them.

I can't wait for 21st August! Yorkshire Energy here I come!

I'm £200 in credit at the moment.

My deemed reading for electric is 4 higher than mine, haven't got one for gas as yet.
  • SuiDreams
    SuiDreams Posts: 2,393 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Yeah,

I have created a quick spreadsheet. Simple maths... 1000kwh per month (unrealistic) and 31 days per month. Makes easy maths..

I currently have -

Iresa Flex 5
    Elec = £119.46 per month
    Gas = £32.60 per month

Yorkshire (Butterfly 12M)
    Elec = £130.11 pm
    Gas = £33.86 pm

Bulb (Variable)
    Elec = £131.51 pm
    Gas = £35.73 pm

Octopus (Variable)
    Elec = 149.82 pm
    Gas = £34.51 pm

Im going to keep going...

Prices are based in Yorkshire / Lincolnshire.

Wouldn't you be better basing it on actual annual use age and 365 days? Different tariffs are best for high medium and low users, some are better going for a low standing charge and slightly higher unit rate and some the other way round. Work out annual price divide by 12 to get monthly cost and you'll have a better comparison.
  • Alias_Omega
    Options
    SuiDreams wrote: »
    Wouldn't you be better basing it on actual annual use age and 365 days? Different tariffs are best for high medium and low users, some are better going for a low standing charge and slightly higher unit rate and some the other way round. Work out annual price divide by 12 to get monthly cost and you'll have a better comparison.

No, my rates are for me. Each person should do their own calculations.

I do it month-month, as my energy usage is up and down. In summer, its really low..in the winter...its excessive and i have to lock the Nest Thermostat to 20 degrees as Mrs AO things its good to be on 23-25 degrees 24/7.
  • SuiDreams
    SuiDreams Posts: 2,393 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    No, my rates are for me. Each person should do their own calculations.

I do it month-month, as my energy usage is up and down. In summer, its really low..in the winter...its excessive and i have to lock the Nest Thermostat to 20 degrees as Mrs AO things its good to be on 23-25 degrees 24/7.

Everyone's energy varies month by month which is why I always do the calculation for the full year based o what I actually use in a year and compare that. I suppose its why you have based your figures on 1 months usage rather than full 12 month actual that is confusing me, I want implying that you were giving comparisons for everyone to use, it was that you were doing a comparison on (in your own words) "unrealistic" figures.
  • Alias_Omega
    Options
    My energy is up and down -

Cold Fill Washing Machine and Dishwasher.
    Tumble Dryer
    Electric Oven and Hob
    Gas only for heating/hot water

Depending on how much usage these get, this will reflect my energy usage. Most things in the house are now energy saving, with the exception of a 500w PIR light on the garage. :(

I could do a 12 month, best guess....my energy usage would probably be the same for Electric (as we use a dryer all year), but Gas goes through the room in winter...
  • lewisa
    lewisa Posts: 301 Forumite
    Options
    Limara wrote: »
    I am so sick and fed up with entering details to show how much I will save BUT when the unit price and the standing charge for both Gas and Electric is considerably more than Iresa how on the earth can any of them be a saving! ( Its always done this long before switch over so its not even taking into account the new prices)

I guess I've been switching for about 10 years now, from a starting point of approx £1000p.a. dual fuel bill.

Every year the comparison exclaims "You will save [between £100-£200] compared to your current tariff!"

By now my energy should be at worst free, and at best the energy companies should be paying me £1k a year.
  • squires55
    squires55 Posts: 27 Forumite
    Options
    Not sure I've seen anyone else in the same situation as me;

Started the transfer from Iresa to 1select in Feb 2018 when my fixed rate was expiring, setup the account with 1select and then waited for the magic to happen.

Some weeks later I had an email to say my Elec was in debit and that the transfer was declined, gas account had been transferred succesfully (heavily in credit). I arranged for the Elec debit to be paid and then re requested the transfer via 1select, again waited only to be informed the acount was in debit (again) and the request declined. At this point I asked Iresa for the credit on my Gas to be applied to the Elec and then re requested the transfer again, waited a couple of weeks to read then read Iresa had folded!

So at this point I only have a Gas account with 1select, I think the Elec is with Iresa and should be moving to Octopus but haven't received any correspondence from them as yet and can't get on the Iresa website to check

Bit unsure as what to do, should I wait and hope never to pay for electric again or contact Octopus?

Whichever, I'm unhappy with 1select given their poor customer service so reluctant to move anything to them other than temporarily, but to transfer I need to know my current suppliers!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure