three contract

Options
Hi experts,

I have a contract with Three, 12 months… (it’s a cheap one, I pay £7.- per month).

I might be on the 5th 5th month.

I called them to cancel it, because I don’t use it; the company I work for gave me a phone plus I will be abroad for the next year or so.

The call was really dodgy, the guy was asking me if I bought a new phone and where was I moving to… He didn’t want to cancel my account, he insisted on me paying the £7.- until the end so I didn’t have to pay termination fees…

Does it make sense to pay until the end? I do not remember, but after the 12th month, it will auto create a new 12-month contract by default, right?

Comments

• JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You have a contract you can cancel now ,but they will require payment of the remaining contracted months that you signed up to .
    End of 12 months it moves to a rolling 30 day contract .
    Phone up and end the contract and say its due to you not being in the UK for a number of years .
  • Frozen_up_north
    Options
    The termination fee is basically the cost per month x number of months remaining.

The call taker you spoke to would try his/her hardest to keep you as a customer... you need to stand your ground and terminate it. Don't cancel your direct debit until well after the final payment as any additional charges would bounce and cause you more trouble than it's worth.

As an aside, at the end of a 12 month min term (on SIM only), the contract continues on a 30 day rolling basis until cancelled. Unlike some other networks, on "SIM only" Three haven't tended to increase the cost by the annual rate of inflation. This isn't to say they won't in the future.

They also often raise and lower the prices of a new contract, for example their 30GB, unlimited mins, 12 month contract was £20/month, it increased to £22 for a time and is currently £18/month.

http://www.three.co.uk/Store/SIM/Plans_for_phones
  • chichi1978
    chichi1978 Posts: 36 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I have to phone them, right? there is no way of doing it online?
  • Frozen_up_north
    Frozen_up_north Posts: 2,420 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    chichi1978 wrote: »
    I have to phone them, right? there is no way of doing it online?

As far as I know you have to phone them. Ask for confirmation in writing that the contract is terminated too.

I've not left Three, but generally find them quite helpful. Maybe you need to say you are going overseas for a year and the Three contract won't be any use there, but you would "like to re-join Three" when you return to the UK. That will act as a sweetener, although basically you are perfectly entitled to just say you no longer need the contract and to cancel with immediate effect.
  • mobilejunkie
    mobilejunkie Posts: 8,460 Forumite
    Options
    you are perfectly entitled to just say you no longer need the contract and to cancel with immediate effect.

You mean, give 30 days' notice or ask for a PAC and exercise it within 30 days.
  • unforeseen
    unforeseen Posts: 7,295 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options

I've not left Three, but generally find them quite helpful.
    When it comes to trying to cancel a contract they are like a dog with a bone and will not give up trying to persuade you to stay. It has taken me an hour before to cancel a Three contract and I was literally screaming down the phone at the end because they were not acknowledging that i wanted to cancel.

The only reason I would ever use Three again is if it was a contract that could never ever be beaten by anybody else on price & coverage so no reason to leave
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure