Clydesdale Bank launches mortgage which allows customers to borrow up to 5.5 times their salary

Options

Comments

• studentguy
    studentguy Posts: 188 Forumite
    Options
    Thrugelmir wrote: »
    A job title doesn't make you a professional. Qualifications do.

Define profession
    a person engaged or qualified in a profession.

Note the OR. Besides most people I know in my industry do have qualifications, usually all people with degrees... So that doesn't stand up either. I'm a professional, seems silly to restrict it to those particular professions, what whatever, doesn't affect me anyway just irritating.
    Despite my name, I'm not a student any more
  • dinkylink
    dinkylink Posts: 228 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Think this is just headline grabbing as this isn't actually much different from the income multiples Clydesdale currently use.

I'm trying to remortgage through Clydesdale at the moment and their lending criteria states;

"As a guide, we would want the client to have no individual BTL mortgage (whether with ourselves or any other lender) of more than 4.5 x income, dependent on individual affordability."

This is already .5 over the 4 x income stated as the usual maximum multiple in the article. And many other lenders will lend more than 4 x income.

And note the 'as a guide' part. After speaking with Clydesdale they confirmed to me that they'd actually access requests up to 5 x income multiples. As also stated, it's all down to 'individual affordability'
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    studentguy wrote: »
    Define profession
    a person engaged or qualified in a profession.

As your opening post.
    accountant, barrister, pilot or a doctor

Eminently employable.
    usually all people with degrees

Degrees are only the first rung on the ladder.........
  • studentguy
    Options
    As your opening post.

Eminently employable.

Degrees are only the first rung on the ladder.........

Are you trying to claim that people in the IT Profession aren't Professionals? Are you also trying to claim that people in the IT Profession, namely Software Developers aren't eminently employable? What do you think all those professions use to do their jobs? Also, no, Degrees aren't the first rung on the ladder...
  • mrginge
    mrginge Posts: 4,843 Forumite
    Options
    Are you trying to claim that people in the IT Profession aren't Professionals?

What professional accreditation does one require to work in IT?
  • studentguy
    edited 20 July 2018 at 4:49PM
    Options
    mrginge wrote: »
    What professional accreditation does one require to work in IT?

To go into Software Development, which is my field, you usually need a degree in Computer Science. You also need years of experience. It's a profession. There are also additional qualifications you can get if you want. It's not a protected profession, unfortunately anyone can call themselves a Software Developer, but if you're a Software Developer earning over £40K, it's safe to say you've proven yourself and aren't just claiming to be one.

There is a professional body which you can join https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Computer_Society - they also accredit Computer Science degrees, they accredited mine for instance, so I am able to join (and I have more than 5 years experience), so yes it is a profession.
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Are you trying to claim that people in the IT Profession aren't Professionals? Are you also trying to claim that people in the IT Profession, namely Software Developers aren't eminently employable? What do you think all those professions use to do their jobs? Also, no, Degrees aren't the first rung on the ladder...

Skills become redundant. Not much demand for COBAL these days
  • studentguy
    edited 20 July 2018 at 6:34PM
    Options
    Skills become redundant. Not much demand for COBAL these days

Firstly, you're wrong, there's a big demand for people who know obscure languages because a lot of legacy software is written in those languages, stuff like software at banks etc - so there's a big demand for people like that. I know of a company that use a very obscure language that has practically died out everywhere but there, but they are willing to pay a lot of money if you could pick it up as their whole business is based on it. Secondly, a true Software Developer can pick up new languages relatively easily, the whole point of going to University and getting a degree is they don't teach you how to program in Java, they teach you fundamental concepts which apply to all languages. In my career I've programmed in a few different languages as circumstances and needs dictate.

Besides that doesn't even hold any relevance to the topic at hand which is that you don't consider my career to be a profession. Can you please state why it isn't? If I wanted to, I could pay £139 to the BCS today, gain letters after my name and become fully certified, as I qualify. There's not much point me doing that other that showing off at this stage, although if I find myself looking for a new Job, I might join. So please explain how I'm not a Professional?
  • mrginge
    mrginge Posts: 4,843 Forumite
    Options
    To go into Software Development, which is my field, you usually need a degree in Computer Science. You also need years of experience. It's a profession. There are also additional qualifications you can get if you want. It's not a protected profession, unfortunately anyone can call themselves a Software Developer, but if you're a Software Developer earning over £40K, it's safe to say you've proven yourself and aren't just claiming to be one.

There is a professional body which you can join https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Computer_Society - they also accredit Computer Science degrees, they accredited mine for instance, so I am able to join (and I have more than 5 years experience), so yes it is a profession.

So the answer to my question is -
    None.

No idea why you’re being so defensive about this.
  • studentguy
    Options
    mrginge wrote: »
    So the answer to my question is -
    None.

No idea why you’re being so defensive about this.

Firstly no, in order to be an accredited professional you need qualifications or to prove yourself in the field.

Secondly I'm being defensive because there are two people here saying that my profession isn't a profession when it is.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport