Clydesdale Bank launches mortgage which allows customers to borrow up to 5.5 times their salary

Options
CLYDESDALE Bank will let you borrow up to five and a half times your salary - but only if you're an accountant, barrister, pilot or a doctor.

The new range of mortgages is for "professionals" only, but annoyingly you have to be earning £40,000 a year already and your job has to be one that's on a list put together by the bank.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/money/6802421/clydesdale-bank-mortgage-borrow-five-times-salary/

Interesting, bit miffed though that they have an exclusive list of job titles, I earn more than 40k, but i'm in the software industry, but apparently my job title isn't posh enough for them - feels a tad snobby, but okay...

What do we make of this? Is it wise to allow people to borrow 5.5x their salary?
Despite my name, I'm not a student any more

Comments

• Amst
    Amst Posts: 141 Forumite
    Options
    Yes, professional people have more to lose than a self-employed window cleaner for example who has stated he will work until the age of 75.

I would imagine it will be restricted on LTV also so the bank can't lose money on a repossession.
  • studentguy
    studentguy Posts: 188 Forumite
    Options
    Amst wrote: »
    Yes, professional people have more to lose than a self-employed window cleaner for example who has stated he will work until the age of 75.

I would imagine it will be restricted on LTV also so the bank can't lose money on a repossession.

My argument with the job titles, is that there are professional job titles not in the list, seems a very exclusive list, but hey ho
    Despite my name, I'm not a student any more
  • Amst
    Amst Posts: 141 Forumite
    Options
    studentguy wrote: »
    My argument with the job titles, is that there are professional job titles not in the list, seems a very exclusive list, but hey ho

It's the same principle as car insurance, their data will show the types of jobs they want don't default on their payments (or claim if you are referring to insurance) - software engineer may or may not but they won't have the data to show this. Nothing personal.
  • sal_III
    sal_III Posts: 1,953 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It is daft to limit to specific professions rather than income threshold.

But at some level of income you have much more disposable income you can plow into mortgage so allowing x5.5 for them makes sense to me.

For example:

A) If you earn 40k gross (30,580.88 net) and the bank lend you x4.5 you can get a 180k mortgage and your repayment for 25 year at 2% is £763/m which leaves you with £1785.41 net per month.

B) If you earn 80k gross (54,415.88 net) and the bank lend you x4.5 you can get a 360k mortgage and the repayment for 25 year at 2% is 1526/m which leaves you with £3008.66 net per month.

C) If you earn 80k gross (54,415.88 net) and the bank lend you x5.5 you can get a 440k mortgage and the repayment for 25 year at 2% is 1865/m which leaves you with £2669.66 net per month.

Who do you think is better suited to service their mortgage exhibit A or exhibit C
  • Lrimas
    Lrimas Posts: 196 Forumite
    Options
    I thought mortgages were based on affordability these days (you need to be able to afford interest rates up to x percent) and no longer x times salary?
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    studentguy wrote: »

A job title doesn't make you a professional. Qualifications do.
  • mrginge
    mrginge Posts: 4,843 Forumite
    Options
    sal_III wrote: »
    It is daft to limit to specific professions rather than income threshold.

They aren’t.

They are taking a view that certain professions provide greater long term security and therefore reduced risk of default against their money.

And they are right.
  • minimike2
    minimike2 Posts: 2,210 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Not really news. Already available on the high street with less restrictions.
  • glosoli
    glosoli Posts: 739 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Lrimas wrote: »
    I thought mortgages were based on affordability these days (you need to be able to afford interest rates up to x percent) and no longer x times salary?

That is true, it is based on affordability, but nevertheless there are still upper maximum income multiples which regardless of the affordability on paper no-one can go above.
  • amnblog
    amnblog Posts: 12,445 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Just marketing.

There are other Lenders that could make the same claim or better.
    I am a Mortgage Broker

You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Broker, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure