Prepaid card for carers?

Options
I have an elderly parent who has carers visit three times each day. I do the weekly shopping via Tesco online.

It was originally suggested that a credit card was left at mother's house so the carers could top-up any food requirements (mostly fresh milk and bread). It worked briefly as a contactless card, but then on third /fourth occasion, a PIN was needed and mother had no memory of it. The card then disappeared and I had it cancelled at the bank.

Carer manager is asking me to now get a pre-paid card for their use. I am not happy about that; apart from the contactless card, I used to leave cash at the house, and saw from shop receipts that sweets and cigarettes had been purchased (which are definitely not the essentials we agreed on).

What is the best way to ensure that mother gets milk and bread? I have tried to find a local milkman but there is nobody that delivers in my mothers area.

Comments

• xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,590 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    https://www.milkandmore.co.uk/

any help?

Otherwise, does your mother have a neighbour who would add her requirements to his shopping list?

You could then arrange for a regular weekly amount to be sent to the neighbour by FP?
  • eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,591 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    https://loot.io/ is contactless and the smartphone app gives instant notification of every transaction. It should be safer than a credit card, but any method can fail with untrustworthy carers.

Did I hear something about Tesco online ending soon..?
    Evolution, not revolution
  • maxximus75
    maxximus75 Posts: 559 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Demand receipts for all purchases and if there are things like cigarettes etc on them, this would need to be seriously discussed with the Care Manager as this is essentially, theft from your mother as it has not been authorized by her. This overspend should be returned to your mother by either the Care Manager or the carers employed by them that spent this.

Write up a letter (making sure it is signed and dated by your mother) to the care manager listing the type of items that the carers are authorized to purchase with your mothers money. Also adding that all purchases must be accompanied by an itemized receipt.

I think the prepaid option would be the best thing as you can load the card with a certain amount and top-up as necessary.
  • Anthorn
    Anthorn Posts: 4,362 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Beenie wrote: »
    I have an elderly parent who has carers visit three times each day. I do the weekly shopping via Tesco online.

It was originally suggested that a credit card was left at mother's house so the carers could top-up any food requirements (mostly fresh milk and bread). It worked briefly as a contactless card, but then on third /fourth occasion, a PIN was needed and mother had no memory of it. The card then disappeared and I had it cancelled at the bank.

Carer manager is asking me to now get a pre-paid card for their use. I am not happy about that; apart from the contactless card, I used to leave cash at the house, and saw from shop receipts that sweets and cigarettes had been purchased (which are definitely not the essentials we agreed on).

What is the best way to ensure that mother gets milk and bread? I have tried to find a local milkman but there is nobody that delivers in my mothers area.

+1 for Milk and More but bear in mind that it's more expensive than the supermarket or perhaps even the local shop but then again it's delivered.

Re. the carer's card you don't usually get it, the carer usually gets it and it's the Money Carer Card from the Money Carer Foundation. Their web site is quite informative. However friends and relatives can also get the card. Bear in mind a monthly fee paid by direct debit from a bank account.
    http://www.moneycarer.org.uk/index.html

However there is no reason why you cannot provide a regular pre-paid card.
  • Beenie
    Beenie Posts: 1,633 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I have a separate bank account for my mothers pension (I am her DWP Appointee). It's with Santander. Can I get one of these pre-paid cards from them?

As for challenging the sweets/cigarettes, the reply I get is that my mother asked for them, and there's no way of disputing that. The safest bet for me is online shopping with only milk, eggs and bread allowed from the pre-paid card.
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,918 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If motheris telling them she wants sweets and cigarettes, given that it's her money, she should be able to have them bought. Whether you approve or not.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,591 Forumite
    Options
    Beenie wrote: »
    I have a separate bank account for my mothers pension (I am her DWP Appointee). It's with Santander. Can I get one of these pre-paid cards from them?
    No, Santander is a bank. Use the account to fund a prepaid card with the Santander debit card or by faster payment. Loot costs nothing.
    Evolution, not revolution
  • Terry_Towelling
    Terry_Towelling Posts: 2,279 Forumite
    Options
    Are you too far away to do it for her? If it is always the same sort of thing that runs out, perhaps get more in the Tesco order and have some of it put in the freezer - milk and bread freeze perfectly well, it's just a case of remembering to get them out to defrost in advance - although sliced bread can be taken out frozen piece by piece and will defrost very quickly.
  • KxMx
    KxMx Posts: 10,618 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    From previous threads Beenie lives very far away, and her Mother doesn't have a freezer.
  • Beenie
    Beenie Posts: 1,633 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    elsien, you are quite right IF my mother was asking for these things, but I doubt that she is.

She has a taste for good quality chocolates, and I buy things from Hotel Chocolat for her. Wine gums and suchlike are not what she would want or ever ask for.

Yes, I live a miserable 4hr+ plus drive from my mother (400 mile round trip) or an expensive train journey plus overnight hotel costs. My visits are therefore not as often as I would like, usually every 6-8 weeks.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure