We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

How are your tomatoes doing ?

Options

Comments

• Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I haven't reviewed the whole thread, but I don't think anyone listed the cherry toms that recently won AGMs from the RHS.

The new ones, supposedly readily available, were:

Rosella
    Bite Size
    Sweet Aperitif

Reconfirmed AGMs were:
    Cherrola
    Sweet Million

Apero and Suncherry Premium kept their AGMs, but had a number of votes against them.

As stated earlier, Gardener's Delight lost its AGM, being neither a cherry tom in modern form or anything special taste wise. (I can confirm the ones I grew from Wilko's seed were woolly and tasteless, compared with Floridity and Sungold growing alongside.)

I don't grow any 'proper' cherry toms. Last Saturday, I tried to sneak some Floridity into the cherry category in the village show, and not for the first time, I was disqualified! :rotfl:

Ah well, no matter, the Sungold and Floridity mix we sell pre-packaged at the gate fly off without fail every morning. :D
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,257 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Dave, I've just searched for Floridity, never grown them, but looking at the pictures I can well imagine your mix of them & Sungold flying off the gate, just on looks alone.

One I may try out next year, to replace my so tired Gardener's Delight
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • Davesnave
    Options
    They have both been trouble free for me in the tunnel this year. We get the odd split Sungold. I think my wife's watering/feeding regime is pretty consistent....more than mine anyway!
  • Living_proof
    Living_proof Posts: 1,921 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Still picking around 100 tomatoes a day and freezing most for use in the winter. Some of the trailing plants are looking really worn out now so I don't expect much from them now, but the allotment ones are plum and plentiful, but GREEN! I will have to hack the foliage back I think, it looks like a rain forest and I am sure I have missed pinching out some side shoots and suckers along the way. Best so far in the greenhouse are so lovely yellow plums that were given to me.
    Solar Suntellite 250 x16 4kW Afore 3600TL dual 2KW E 2KW W no shade, DN15 March 14
    [SIZE Givenergy 9.5 battery added July 23
    [/SIZE]
  • Primrose
    Primrose Posts: 10,622 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Does anybody have an opinion on any difference in flavour between red and yellow tomatoes and which might be better?

I grow a variety of reds, and in yellows I grow Tumbling Tom yellow and Ildi (cordon). On balance I think the reds have a better flavour but possibly there are better yellows I haven,t tried. I tried Balcony last year but didnt find them any different from their Tumbling Tom cousins.

One thing though. I do think that the foliage on the yellow Tumbling Toms becomes far more ragged than the red ones, and more quickly too.
  • tootallulah
    tootallulah Posts: 2,197 Forumite
    Options
    Davesnave wrote: »
    I haven't reviewed the whole thread, but I don't think anyone listed the cherry toms that recently won AGMs from the RHS.

The new ones, supposedly readily available, were:

Rosella
    Bite Size
    Sweet Aperitif

Reconfirmed AGMs were:
    Cherrola
    Sweet Million

Apero and Suncherry Premium kept their AGMs, but had a number of votes against them.

As stated earlier, Gardener's Delight lost its AGM, being neither a cherry tom in modern form or anything special taste wise. (I can confirm the ones I grew from Wilko's seed were woolly and tasteless, compared with Floridity and Sungold growing alongside.)

I don't grow any 'proper' cherry toms. Last Saturday, I tried to sneak some Floridity into the cherry category in the village show, and not for the first time, I was disqualified! :rotfl:

Ah well, no matter, the Sungold and Floridity mix we sell pre-packaged at the gate fly off without fail every morning. :D

I grow Floridity because of your recommendation they are delicious I am going to try a couple of the new cherry varieties next year - many thanks.
  • Primrose
    Options
    I,ve made a nite to order some Floridity seed for next year to try them. I like Sungold but never seem to get a very high yield with them. Is this a normal characteristic.
    I,ve gone India a yellow cherry plum for several years which are very prolific but either my taste buds are changing or they do ,t seem to have quite the flavour ai oeiginally imagined them to have. Also they go soft quite quickly so are not a very good keeping tomato.
  • Primrose
    Options
    I,ve made a note to order some Floridity seed for next year to try them. I like Sungold but never seem to get a very high yield with them. Is this a normal characteristic?

I,ve grown Ildi, a yellow cherry plum for several years which are very prolific but either my taste buds are changing or they dont t seem to have the flavou I originally remembered them having . Also they go soft quite quickly so are not a very good keeping tomato.
  • Davesnave
    Options
    I would say Sungold produce less than Floridity or Gardener's Delight per truss, but they still grow to 10' in my polytunnel and therefore I don't worry too much.

My biggest problem is whitefly at height. I have a marigold now that grows to over 5' indoors, but it really needs those GM guys to develop a climbing variety!
  • Living_proof
    Living_proof Posts: 1,921 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Is there anyone on the site who is good at guessing tomato variety please? I have a tomato which has very large, pepper-like fruits and the best guess so far is some sort of stuffer tomato. I have a photo on my phone but not sure how to get it on here.
    Solar Suntellite 250 x16 4kW Afore 3600TL dual 2KW E 2KW W no shade, DN15 March 14
    [SIZE Givenergy 9.5 battery added July 23
    [/SIZE]
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family