We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

How are your tomatoes doing ?

Options

Comments

• Primrose
    Primrose Posts: 10,625 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 17 September 2018 at 1:00PM
    Options
    Any wrote: »
    Hi

When you say you grow Floridity inside, how big does it get? How do you care for it inside? Position?
    I would love to try and grow some inside over winter.
    Have nice sunny windowshelve in the bedroom, but will it block a lot of light?

I fear you will not be successful growing tomatoes inside in this country over winter. The nighttime temleratures are far too low as are the daytime light levels. Even if you get seeds to germinate now and the plants survive they will be far too straggly to successfully bear fruit.if you are able to prove me wrong we will indeed be undergoing considerable climate change!

My outdoor tomatoes are still ripening well and we have sunny days forecast for another week at least so I will leave them on the plants for a while yet and monitor. I think sun ripened fruits always have a better flavour than those which are picked and ripened off indoors.
  • Any
    Any Posts: 7,944 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Primrose wrote: »
    I fear you will not be successful growing tomatoes inside in this country over winter. The nighttime temleratures are far too low as are the daytime temleratures. Even if you get seeds to germinate now and the plant survive they will be far too straggly to successfully bear fruit.if yiu are able to prove me wrong we will indeed be undergoing considerable climate change!

My outdoor tomatoes are still ripening well and we have sunny days forecast for another week at least so I will leave them on the plants for a while yet and monitor. I think sun ripened fruits always have a better flavour than those which are picked and ripened off indoors.

Yes re reading the comment I misunderstood.
    At first I thought indoors means in the house.
    It means indoors as in the greenhouse 😂😂
    Silly me

I never had any success with tomatoes out of greenhouse. Never got any to ripen. We do live in bad weather area.
  • Living_proof
    Options
    I have dug up most of my outdoor plants and they are hanging in the greenhouse. Due to the winds we expect to get in the next few days I will be digging up the last half dozen or so today because I think they stand a better chance of ripening inside than out. I have learnt a few lessons this year and will grow more bigger varieties as the small ones are just too labour-intensive. Interested to hear of all your successes and will choose seeds carefully in the future.
    Solar Suntellite 250 x16 4kW Afore 3600TL dual 2KW E 2KW W no shade, DN15 March 14
    [SIZE Givenergy 9.5 battery added July 23
    [/SIZE]
  • Primrose
    edited 24 September 2018 at 7:11PM
    Options
    Still going strong with my outdoor tomatoes as we have a period of co to ied sunshine facing us for st least a week. I did pick all the semi ripe ones on Sunday morning before the torrential rain came but still have plenty of green ones left.
    I'm watching the low nighttime temperatures rather anxiously now. If they,re forecast to fall below 5 degrees ai'lls oick the remaining ones to ripen indoors but ill otherwise let them w joy the daytime sunshine as once they comes off the plants the skins start to wrinkle a little and spoil.

Ive read that you can hang the plants upside down but don't have a greenhouse in which to let them continue ripening in this way. A brief glance at my gardening diary for previous years reminds me that that my tomatoes always seem to have been harvested by around September 28th at the latest so I suspect I,ve not felt comfortwble wble with overnight temleratures beyond this date when the skins start to get marked or damaged.

Lesssons learnt this year: reduce the varieties grown next year.

1. A few Tumbling red In patio ots for early crops

2. Ferline (allegedly blight resistant) for large salad tomatoes

3. Prima Bella (cordon) for allegedly blight resistant tasty cherry tomatoes . This was a variety previously Unknown to me but which have a delicious flavour and crop,prolofically. (Much better than Gardeners Delight in my view which Ive grown for years and which cropped poorly for me this summer.
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,328 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    I've still got a few Gardeners' Delight outside, but given the dropping night temperatures I'll bring them inside, they are ripe but I was hoping to leave them until I really needed them

I've got some Yellow Balcony just turning in the conservatory, that is frost free, and lovely and warm in daytime sun so I can leave them until required
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • pearl123
    pearl123 Posts: 2,056 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I live in the south of England and my tomatoes are still green and a few are turning colour. It's supposed to be warm until Friday so I'm definitely leaving them outside until then.
    Gardeners world a couple of weeks ago said that tomatoes had to be between a particular range to ripen.
  • Primrose
    Options
    I've noticed more fruits splitting today and some of the green tomatoes have started to develop small blotchy specks on the skin, possibly due to dropping temperatures so I've picked them all today now apart from one or two tiny developing fruits the size of marbles.
    I'm going to leave them on the plants as an experiment until the first frost comes just to see if they develop at all.

Then I'll chop all the plants up and let them compost down over winter in a shallow trench, over which my climbing beans will be planted next year.

I alternate the location of my beans and tomatoes every year along a ,lng south facing fence to try and reduce the risk of disease.
  • Callie22
    Callie22 Posts: 3,444 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Still picking here … The freezer is stuffed full of tomato based things :)

The Cuore di Bue beef tomatoes didn't do quite as well as last year, I think, but I've still had lots although they've taken a really long time to ripen. They have a good flavour but I found that they really didn't like the heat as I lost quite a few to splitting this year compared to last, although mine looked much better than the ones I saw for sale in Waitrose! I like them but I think it's time for a change, and I'll try a different beef tomato next time.

The Principe Borghese did well again - these are a small plum-type tomato that's normally used for sun-drying. They have quite a good flavour although they're a bit 'seedy' for eating. They cropped well this year and suffered less from snails (at least I think that's what ate bits out of loads of them last time).

The San Marzarno were really good, really heavy crops that were almost too heavy for the plants! These have been really nice for cooking and eating as they're quite a 'dry' tomato, lots of flesh but not much in the way of seeds or juice. I'll definitely grow some of those again next year.

My Cherry Cascades cropped really heavily but I wasn't blown away with the flavour or texture, they were very small cherry tomatoes (almost like the tomatoes I've seen sold as 'tomberries' in the supermarkets) but they were really, really seedy. A nice experiment but I'll try something else next year.
  • Primrose
    Options
    Thank you Callie. It,s always interesting to read reports of other peoples' crops and their perceptions, especially when there are so many tomato varieties to experiment with. One couldn,t practically experiment with them all so good to hear what worked and what didn,t for other people.

I know soil , location and local weather conditions have an influence in all these things but still good to get reports from other in how their crops have performed.
  • Living_proof
    Options
    Could this thread be pinned for next year? So many seem to disappear just when you want to make a decision about what to do next.

My tomatoes are now all inside but the greenhouse is getting really cold at night but I am running the dehydrator in there which seems to keep it above freezing. I picked a small basketful this afternoon but feel I now have enough ripened fruit, so maybe a small amount of green tomato chutney is in order. I am also considering green tomatoes fermented this year. Has anyone done this please? Are they tasty? All comments gratefully received.
    Solar Suntellite 250 x16 4kW Afore 3600TL dual 2KW E 2KW W no shade, DN15 March 14
    [SIZE Givenergy 9.5 battery added July 23
    [/SIZE]
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family