Shop recommendations in Cardiff please!

I'm having a shopping day in Cardiff soon and I want to plan my attack carefully so I need to know which shops are worth a visit. I live in Pembrokeshire and haven't been to Cardiff for at least a year and can't remember what's there! I'm interested in nice fabric/craft shops, discounted clothes, toys and Christmas decs.

Is there a haberdashery dept in Howells? If not where else might there be one? I've searched online and I think there's a stall on the market but are there any other nice fabric shops about?

Does anyone know where's the best bargains in Boots? What about in the arcades, anything nice in there?

Any tips welcome, all must be within walking distance of the city centre. Thanks :j
Cos I don't shine if you don't shine.

Comments

• pavlovs_dog
    pavlovs_dog Posts: 10,195
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    haberdashery - cant speak for howells, but there are definately stalls in the market. cant think of anywhere else in the city centre

boots - cant say ive noticed a main bargain point, seems to be lacklustre and hit and miss.

in the arcade - lovely new shop called rossiters has just opened up in (royal)? arcade - the entrance/exit is near spillers. remortgage the house, and take your cheque book :eek: :rotfl: they do lovely stuff though.

the cheap & cheerful christmas shop is returning to the site of the old index store at the top of queens street, but dont know when its opening

cardiff as a place to shop is changing by the day. everything is moving and changing to accommodate the st davids 2 redevelopment, so be prepared for the city to be very different to the one you knew.

if you are bringing the car, cost of parking has increased dramatically, so be aware.

if you like jacket spuds, go to hudsons for lunch (just off of queens street, down the side of superdrug). get there before 1pm, cos they sell out quick. best £2-£3 you will ever spend on food :drool:

if you want info/advice on anything specific, just holler.
    know thyself
    Nid wy'n gofyn bywyd moethus...
  • Cool, thanks Pavlov :) Do you mind telling me what sort of stuff does Rossiters sell? I'm intrigued!

Re. parking, thankfully I'm on a coach trip with mums from the playgroup so no parking hassle or cost :j

Now, do I look for Christmas presents or a new coat and boots for me, decisions, decisions!
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    There's a free Park & Ride voucher on the Red Dragon FM site they said ... hang on, I'll go look for it.

It can be used anytime in the week of the 5th to the 9th of November.

http://www.reddragonfm.co.uk/Article.asp?id=501038&spid=
  • pavlovs_dog
    Forumite
    Cool, thanks Pavlov :) Do you mind telling me what sort of stuff does Rossiters sell? I'm intrigued!

Rossiters website isnt of much help. its a kind of boutique, i suppose would be the best way of describing it. lots of little bits that wouuld be great for stocking fillers, and some very expensive furniture
    know thyself
  • floyd
    floyd Posts: 2,722
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Ooh I love Rossiters, always go to the one in Bath around this time of year to buy smellies, kitchen gifts and other stuff to treat myself :)

I also really used to like the American Deli in the arcade but I haven't been there in years

• if you like jacket spuds, go to hudsons for lunch (just off of queens street, down the side of superdrug). get there before 1pm, cos they sell out quick. best £2-£3 you will ever spend on food :drool:

There's only one thing I go to Cardiff city centre for these days. Crumbs salad (Morgan Arcade).

I've begged them to let me open a franchise but they're having none of it.

There is nothing in the world like Crumbs salad in a wooden bowl from there. :drool:
    :A MSE's turbo-charged CurlyWurlyGirly:A
    ;)Thinks Naughty Things Too Much Clique Member No 3, 4 & 5 ;)
  • pavlovs_dog
    Forumite
    ive never been in there but have always meant to. maybe when the warmer weather returns... cant beat a steaming hot spud on a cold day :D
    know thyself
  • lindens
    lindens Posts: 2,870
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    The best fabric shops are down city road (theres about 6)and theres a craft shop too. a bit of a walk, maybe 20 mins not too bad.
    You're not your * could have not of * Debt not dept *
  • Seakay
    Seakay Posts: 4,265
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    T K Maxx is now where some of David Morgan's used to be - it's on several floors and has a little cafe in the basement.
    Wally's deli is still in the Royal Arcade.
    There's a Shaws across the road from the bus station in Wood Street, they don't do much haberdashery but will have some buttons, ribbons etc.
    There is a fabric stall in the market and at least one haberdashers.
    As Lindens said, best fabric shops are in City Road, my favourite is Calico but it depends what sort of fabrics you want - at least they are pretty close together.
    http://www.cardiffonline.net/business/fabricshops/
    Primark is now on Queen Street, much bigger than the old site and spread over 3 floors. Boots has entrances in the St Davids Centre and Queen Street, so you could go through that way.
  • Thanks for all the suggestions so far. I've searched online and it looks like there's no Poundland, Au Naturel or Home Bargains - does anyone know of any other discount type shops?

Adding Primark and TK Maxx (we have one of those locally but it's not that big) to the list :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport