Grant Grabbing: Free money if you're on a low income

Former_MSE_Moa Posts: 4 Newbie
edited 1 August 2018 at 5:56PM in Benefits & tax credits

This thread is to discuss the Grant Grabbing: Free income support grants to boost your income guide.

To discuss, ask a question or tell other MoneySavers about grants for individuals you've come across - click reply


  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 4,176 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    When I was a student I spent many hours searching the "Grant Making Trusts Directory". I was awarded several grants and due to this ploughed through uni not having to worry.

    There a millions of charities out there wanting to give away their money to individuals who meet their criteria. In my case being female, low income, student, care leavers & BME.

    There are charities who give if you or your parents are in certain professions or if your parents were in the forces. List goes on of what their criteria's are.

    It's well worth looking. Book is very expensive, my uni had a copy in the library as most public libraries would too. You'll also find bigger charities, local council for voluntary services or chamber of commerce have a copy or online access you can use.
  • kingfisherblue
    kingfisherblue Posts: 9,203 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Xmas Saver!
    I've also used the above book, mainly for grants for my disabled son (for equipment for him), or for my Brownie unit. Many of them are not on the internet and require old fashioned pen and paper, but it can be worth it.

    Be clear about what you are applying for. Make sure that you have read and understood the criteria - if you don't fit it, then your application will get no further. Write clearly, or send in a typed application. Nobody wants to spend time trying to read poor writing. Be prepared to provide financial details if requested. Some trusts and charities require a professional to apply on behalf of the applicant (eg, social worker, disability support worker, etc).

    The Family Fund is perhaps one of the best known grant making bodies for individuals. It has specific criteria, including a maximum family income, and is for families of children with a disabled child. Other similar charities include Caudwell Children and Children Today.

    It may also be worth googling the name of your town plus 'grants' and the reason that you are looking (holiday, disability, equipment, etc). A local firm in my town offers educational grants. Several years ago, I applied for educational toys and books for my disabled son. I received a phone call to ask me about it, as they usually only received applicants wanting help with university level education. I explained that my son had to work harder to achieve less, but that I wanted him to have as much opportunity as possible to reach his potential, even though it was far lower than other applicants'. As a result, my son received various books, toys and games, including several designed specifically for those with special needs. He really benefited from them and used them for several years. I then passed them on to another family that had a child with special needs.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 4,176 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Totally forgot about familyfund they give yearly grants to families of disabled children.

    You need to meet financial and disability requirements but if you meet it you can get grants for all sorts of stuff. The only things they won't fund is stuff that should be provided by NHS or the Council services.
    Children and young people with additional support needs arising from a disability or disabling condition or with a serious or life threatening illness meet this criteria where:

    There is evidence that their additional needs impact on family’s choices and their opportunity to enjoy ordinary life; the degree of planning and support required to meet their needs are much greater than that usually required to meet the needs of children.

    They require a high level of support in three or more of Family Fund’s seven areas of support descriptors below.

    Their condition is long term or life limiting (by long term we mean lasting or likely to last 12 months or more).
    Family Fund seven areas of support

    Your child should require support in at least three of the seven areas below:

    Personal care, supervision and vigilance – we mean things like feeding, washing, toileting; a very high level of supervision
    Access to social activities – we mean things like engaging socially and taking part in activities
    Education – we mean the type of support that is given for learning and who gives it?
    Communication – we mean listening, speaking and understanding
    Therapy and medical treatment – we mean what treatment or therapy is given, who does this, how often and when?
    Specialist resources used - we mean things like wheelchair, oxygen, screen magnifier, electronic communication aid
    The physical environment – we mean support with getting around and keeping safe.
  • Ames
    Ames Posts: 18,459 Forumite
    I haven't read the guide but please could you change the title of the thread and the guide? People on low incomes get a hard enough time on these boards and I fear that the title will just inflame the trolls further.
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors


  • All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback
  • 15.1K Coronavirus Support Boards