How to start a Business??

Options
I’m looking for advice on starting a business. A removals company to be precise. It’s something I have always wanted to do but never thought it would be achievable. I am at a stage now where I am 31 with enough cash to get this up and running so I am very tempted to give it a go. Is there anyone in this field with any advice/tips? Or anyone in general with some good pointers to get the ball rolling? Where do I start??
Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,102 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Get yourself a job with a removals firm first and see the business from the inside.
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • 00ec25
    00ec25 Posts: 9,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    mikul182 wrote: »
    A removals company to be precise. Where do I start??
    you start by having a clearer idea of what you mean by removals "company"

one man and a transit van doing light duty lift and shift work

or

a company with employees and pantechnicons doing full scale house removals
  • Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,102 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    See if your local college runs a course for people like yourself - lots of issues : HMRC, employment law, pensions, unions, insurances, vehicle tax, vehicle licenses (you can't just park anywhere), running business from home or office, bank accounts , training ...................
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • fishybusiness
    fishybusiness Posts: 1,263 Forumite
    Options
    All of the above allude to some kind of business plan.

Cost it out, tax, mot and insurance, maintenance, liability insurance specific to your kind of business, advertising, accountant? Maybe more, but all are fairly fixed costs.

Moving muscle and mileage variable per job, so pricing and wages - do you have expectations of what you want to earn?

Put it all together - is your rate competitive?

Register with HMRC as self employed or a ltd - find out about virtues of both first.

Pick your advertising slots based on the type of client you want - see how it goes, adjust rates and ads to suit.

In a nutshell..............
  • mikul182
    mikul182 Posts: 28 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    00ec25 wrote: »
    you start by having a clearer idea of what you mean by removals "company"

one man and a transit van doing light duty lift and shift work

or

a company with employees and pantechnicons doing full scale house removals

Full scale house removals and similar services is the goal. Employees would have to be something I'd address along the way to match work load. Possible zero hour contracts to start with as I've been told hiring staff from agencies is costly.
  • Tallaght
    Tallaght Posts: 1,632 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    You will need public liabilty insurance along with goods in transit insurance.Beware the market for removal companies is a very saturated one.
    Maybe start off with a 3.5 tonne box van.
  • mikul182
    Options
    Tallaght wrote: »
    You will need public liabilty insurance along with goods in transit insurance.Beware the market for removal companies is a very saturated one.
    Maybe start off with a 3.5 tonne box van.

That is the exact sized vehicle i was looking at. Are you speaking from experience?
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I’m looking for advice on starting a business. A removals company to be precise. It’s something I have always wanted to do but never thought it would be achievable. I am at a stage now where I am 31 with enough cash to get this up and running so I am very tempted to give it a go. Is there anyone in this field with any advice/tips? Or anyone in general with some good pointers to get the ball rolling? Where do I start??
    Thanks in advance.

How do you know what kind of amount of money is needed to get it up and running ?

Do as advised and get a job with a local firm and get inside knowledge of what entailed, preferably 1 who deal with a mix of different items.
    With the experience you will be able to pick up some tips.
  • mikul182
    Options
    DCFC79 wrote: »
    How do you know what kind of amount of money is needed to get it up and running ?

Do as advised and get a job with a local firm and get inside knowledge of what entailed, preferably 1 who deal with a mix of different items.
    With the experience you will be able to pick up some tips.

From the rough estimates of whats needed to start this up falls safely within my budget.
    The only thing with getting a job within the territory is the fact I am currently in a well paid job and getting a job within the field would mean a drop in wages. Hence the firm interest in this type of work and the want to run my own rather than work for someone else's.
  • Tallaght
    Tallaght Posts: 1,632 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    That is the exact sized vehicle i was looking at. Are you speaking from experience?

I knew a few people who did this and they leased a 3.5 tonne van with tail lift.The UK market seems to be over saturated though and it is very competitive.There seems to be a lot of one man van businesses on places like ebay and other forums.The student market is a good one pre term and end of term etc.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure