A thought...

Options
Is the Take a Break Puzzle Magazine thread still needed?

They've changed the format now. We don't have to log in anymore to enter. We fill in our details and enter each one as separate competitions. All the info posted in each thread is the same as what would be posted if done in the standard posting format on the main board. So I'm wondering, is it time to post these comps directly to the main board, and abandon the thread?

If we do change, these are some of the advantages that I've thunked up so far: No more having the thread moved to GO. It would make it easier for newbies. No more endless notifications for new posts and chat.

Discuss :D

Blu X
I am brave, I am bruised
I am who I'm meant to be
I'm not scared to be seen
I make no apology
THIS IS ME!

Comments

• mjm3346
    mjm3346 Posts: 46,942 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 13 July 2018 at 9:02PM
    Options
    I do not not use the thread and have not looked at it for ages as I do not often venture into "regulars" (did not even know they had changed the entry format)

I understand it doesn't go to game over from the regulars section as there is no "expired" button.

People would have to search the posts out as there would not be a thread to subscribe to so they are more likely to miss them - presumably that would be worse than getting notifications for what might not be an actual competition post - also people do not have to subscribe if the notifications are too much for them but everything is in a single thread for them when they do want to look.
  • chloeadkins
    chloeadkins Posts: 10,346 Forumite
    I won, I won, I won!
    Options
    mjm3346 wrote: »
    I do not not use the thread and have not looked at it for ages as I do not often venture into "regulars" (did not even know they had changed the entry format)

I understand it doesn't go to game over from the regulars section as there is no "expired" button.

People would have to search the posts out as there would not be a thread to subscribe to so they are more likely to miss them - presumably that would be worse than getting notifications for what might not be an actual competition post - also people do not have to subscribe if the notifications are too much for them but everything is in a single thread for them when they do want to look.

I agree with this. I think it's handy that all the TAB posts are together and can be accessed easily when people choose to enter. Thanks for starting the discussion Blu :)
    11 wins in August 2019 :j Thanks everyone x

Anorexia Fighter & Proud NHS Worker!:)
  • deb2112
    deb2112 Posts: 380 Forumite
    Options
    I'm with you on this one Blu. It makes sense for each post to go on the main board. I've only started subscribing to the thread since it moved to regulars and it is a pain having to scroll through each time it's commented on. If each comp was individually listed on the main board it would work for you however you organised the board, as each comp would have its specific end date. I don't see the need for the thread at all as almost none of the comps relate to each other. Any issues related to new mags or needing to change posters etc could be brought up in CCC.
  • mjm3346
    mjm3346 Posts: 46,942 Forumite
    Options
    deb2112 wrote: »
    I'm with you on this one Blu. It makes sense for each post to go on the main board. I've only started subscribing to the thread since it moved to regulars and it is a pain having to scroll through each time it's commented on. If each comp was individually listed on the main board it would work for you however you organised the board, as each comp would have its specific end date. I don't see the need for the thread at all as almost none of the comps relate to each other. Any issues related to new mags or needing to change posters etc could be brought up in CCC.

If the notifications are too much then why subscribe? There are only a handful of threads in the regulars so it is not hard to find and you can look it up with ease whenever you like.
    If they are posted individually then however you use the board you have to find every one of them in among the large number of posts for very small prizes.

The question really needs to be asked on the thread where it will be seen by the people who use it rather than here (judging by the number of thanks on posts in that thread there are over 700 logged in users who use it).
  • compingtinkertink2010
    Options
    I vote to keep - I find it handy having them all together x
  • 2013yearofthehouse
    2013yearofthehouse Posts: 3,060 Forumite
    edited 15 July 2018 at 2:04PM
    Options
    I like it, because it is easy to refer to. I check it each day as a part of my daily routine. I only glance at post #1 though. There is no need to check the thread every time there is a notification and there is no need to scroll all through it to the end, because One-Eye very kindly updates post #1 when answers are added, so all you have to do is glance down the left hand side of the list (the list of update dates in green) in post #1 and look for any recent dates and then click the blue link at the end of the row, which takes you directly to the correct post (or if you are an end dater, you just refer to the ending dates listed in pink). It is quick and easy and you can check which ones you have done, ensuring you do not miss any :) Thanks One-Eye :D

The only time I scroll right to the end of the thread is when an end date is approaching and the answers have not been posted yet, just in case they get posted quite last minute, but it is not necessary very often.
  • Surfermom
    Surfermom Posts: 1,509 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I won, I won, I won!
    Options
    Another vote to keep it as it is.

I don't subscribe to it (or any other threads) but I check it a couple of times a week as part of my routine to make sure I've entered everything up to date. It would be much easier to miss a comp if they were posted individually on the main board.
  • Salsa16
    Salsa16 Posts: 1,756 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I vote to keep it too, I find it handy for them to be in one thread.
  • Blulu
    Blulu Posts: 7,666 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I think we're losing the battle deb2112. Sometimes, I'm not sure about this democracy thing ;)

My guess is that those voting to keep it only want to because they're used to it, not because it's actually useful. It was useful, when we had to log in and you could do that once, then scroll through a number of comps. Now, I just don't really see any advantage, other than from habit. But I do believe in democracy so if people prefer it as is, that's fine, of course. I guess I might link this to the thread, but to be honest, people who use the thread, are likely to want it to stay. Posting it there won't reach whose who don't use the thread, some of whom might enter these comps if they were posted individually on the main board.

It isn't that big a deal, I was just wondering how useful it is. I honestly don't see that it serves any purpose now. But each to their own, I guess :D

Blu X
    I am brave, I am bruised
    I am who I'm meant to be
    I'm not scared to be seen
    I make no apology
    THIS IS ME!
  • Marg2k8
    Marg2k8 Posts: 5,838 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I vote to keep it in regulars. There is no expire button. I don't subscribe, but it is easy enough to find and check regularly. Also, I think in a special thread, it is clearer that there are regular posters who buy the mags and it is not just a free for all to post if someone else happens to buy the mag.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure