PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Paying board to parents

Options

Comments

• Annabee
    Annabee Posts: 642 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I am thinking that perhaps this is some kind of joke? Of course there won't be any tax problems, for you or your parents.

You are just paying a small amount towards the household expenses. A very tiny amount actually, £100 a week would be more realistic, not a month.

But it seems from your tone that perhaps you resent paying the monthly £100? And that is what prompted your query? (I apologise if I got that wrong). If so, you are seriously out of order.

I am all for parents helping their offspring financially if they can afford to do so, but your attitude is so wrong.
  • tori.k
    tori.k Posts: 3,592 Forumite
    Options
    I suppose it depends where your kids work, how old they are etc. I can't imagine for one minute my daughter coming back to live at home after uni, not for long anyway. I would rather her rent while she sorts out her life rather than being tied down to our sleepy old village (even though it's commuterable to London). Why can't young adults house share?

Our son actually earns a good wage for Cornwall, Once you get past two people in a household the running cost don't rise dramatically if I really looked into it I actually probably marginally profit.
  • takman
    takman Posts: 3,876 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Annabee wrote: »
    I am thinking that perhaps this is some kind of joke? Of course there won't be any tax problems, for you or your parents.

You are just paying a small amount towards the household expenses. A very tiny amount actually, £100 a week would be more realistic, not a month.

But it seems from your tone that perhaps you resent paying the monthly £100? And that is what prompted your query? (I apologise if I got that wrong). If so, you are seriously out of order.

I am all for parents helping their offspring financially if they can afford to do so, but your attitude is so wrong.

Let's say that there are 3 adults living in the house (Parents and Child) and a fair split would be 1/3rd of household bills each. So £100 per week per adult is £1300 per calendar month!!.

So you saying your bills are £1300 a month? That is ridiculous and way over the top.
  • lookstraightahead
    Options
    takman wrote: »
    Let's say that there are 3 adults living in the house (Parents and Child) and a fair split would be 1/3rd of household bills each. So £100 per week per adult is £1300 per calendar month!!.

So you saying your bills are £1300 a month? That is ridiculous and way over the top.

I suppose it depends whether you include a mortgage or not. Maybe some people think it's unfair for their kids to contribute to a mortgage, but if we are thinking of long term financial gain for kids, it means parents pay their mortgage off quicker and will therefore free them up to babysit the grandchildren etc ...

I'm all for children making their own way to be honest I can't get my head around having my children in my care well into adulthood. I would support in any way I can but they have to fly the nest.
  • AJS321
    AJS321 Posts: 63 Forumite
    Options
    Pixie5740 wrote: »
    Tee hee.

You are not responsible for someone else's tax liability not that your parents need to pay tax on your £100 a month contribution to the household because it doesn't take them anywhere near the Rent a Room limit.

Thank you. What’s the rent a room limit of you don’t mind me asking?
  • AJS321
    Options

Ok, never heard of that before. Does that apply even if we don’t have a formal written tenancy agreement?
  • Money_maker
    Money_maker Posts: 5,471 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    AJS321 wrote: »
    Thank you. What’s the rent a room limit of you don’t mind me asking?
    I'm guessing your parents want to raise the amount you pay?
    Please do not quote spam as this enables it to 'live on' once the spam post is removed. ;)

If you quote me, don't forget the capital 'M'

Declutterers of the world - unite! :rotfl::rotfl:
  • Silvertabby
    Silvertabby Posts: 9,038 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    !!!8220; Thank you. What!!!8217;s the rent a room limit of you don!!!8217;t mind me asking?
    Originally posted by AJS321

It's £7,500 a year - so your parents could increase your 'board' to £143.74 per week (£7,499 / 52.17) and still be well within the legal limit.
  • AJS321
    Options
    !!!8220; Thank you. What!!!8217;s the rent a room limit of you don!!!8217;t mind me asking?
    Originally posted by AJS321

It's £7,500 a year - so your parents could increase your 'board' to £143.74 per week (£7,499 / 52.17) and still be well within the legal limit.

Ok, so imagine they don’t need to declare anything to the taxman. Thanks for your help.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure