PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Paying board to parents

Options

Comments

• lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,624 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I'm not sure uni teaches you the cost of living.

I think it does although again depends on circumstances.
    If you are renting privately you'll have to pay food, rent, travel and bills etc.

If your in university accomodation then you might be sheltered from some of those costs, but in private rental you'll be exposed to all the normal costs of living.

Of course there are other ways to learn, but most young people will have very little interest in household bills until it affects them personally.
  • TamsinC
    TamsinC Posts: 625 Forumite
    edited 12 July 2018 at 8:17PM
    Options
    AJS321 wrote: »
    Hi.

I!!!8217;m 27 and still live with my parents (saving for a deposit at the moment) and pay them £100 per month in board and have been doing so since I first started work. I pay them very infirmally through a bank transfer every month and have never questioned what they then go on to do with that money.

Am I right in thinking that it!!!8217;s my parents responsibility to declare this to HMRC as income for tax purposes? If it ever turns out to be the case that they!!!8217;re not doing this, could I be held criminally responsible for tax evasion?
    :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl: they pay the bills with that money - electric, gas, internet etc. £100 a month is NOTHING!

Like others here - I paid my parents 1/3 of my wages when I stayed at home AND saved for a deposit. I wouldn't have considered thinking what they did with it.

Mind you I wouldn't have lived with my parents at the age of 27 - worst nightmare situation - I was married and pregnant with my eldest at that point - completely independent.

As others have said they can earn £7.5K for a rent a room scheme with HMRC - you give them £1200 a year -- Think they are fine! :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
    “Isn't this enough? Just this world? Just this beautiful, complex
    Wonderfully unfathomable, natural world” Tim Minchin
  • t0rt0ise
    t0rt0ise Posts: 4,278 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Family members don't count as lodgers. Try to get Housing Benefit and you will soon find that out!
  • tori.k
    tori.k Posts: 3,592 Forumite
    Options
    lisyloo wrote: »
    It could be.
    It's just a question as the OP may have no idea of what it costs to run a home and may have no idea that this is very low (if it does include food).

If true it's generous but doesn't teach the OP about costs of living.

We charge our eldest not much more as he's saving a deposit it will actually benefit us both more knowing he will have secure housing and it will put an end to the cost of him yo-yoing between home and rented properties, I think most young people saving a deposit are aware of the cost of living its why they are saving rather than jumping ship into rental for the supposed freedom :rotfl:
  • FTBlalala
    FTBlalala Posts: 71 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I've recently bought a house at 24 by living with parents for 2 years, I was paying £80 a WEEK voluntarily as this was about 20% of my take home monthly pay. This was excl food too and I still managed to save £17k in 2 years.

I don't begrudge it at all! It has massively helped me get to where I am today and being financially independent (with no debt excl mortgage).

My brothers, sister and I have paid rent and bought 90% of our own food since we started full time work at 18. (Part-time work and college 16-18 and to be fair my parents wouldn't accept rent while any of us were full time education)

Best thing they did for us IMO
    Bought First Home - June 2018 Starting £218,500 June 2020 £203,800.95 :T MFW 2020 #78 - Target £3000 - So far... £2182/£3000
    Ultimate Goal MFW by 40! - 2033
  • lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,624 Forumite
    Options
    tori.k wrote: »
    We charge our eldest not much more as he's saving a deposit it will actually benefit us both more knowing he will have secure housing and it will put an end to the cost of him yo-yoing between home and rented properties, I think most young people saving a deposit are aware of the cost of living its why they are saving rather than jumping ship into rental for the supposed freedom :rotfl:

ok.
    I just would not expect my parents to subsidise me once I was working. If that means it takes longer so be it.
    I would not want to be reliant on mummy and daddy at age 27.
    If you are a woman you start being regarded as "geriatric" in maternal terms after 35. That's not my personal judgment that an official medical term.
    How long exactly do people these days expect to hang off the apron strings?
  • todayisagreatday
    Options
    DoaM wrote: »
    When I first started work I paid 1/3 of my net pay to my parents as board. It's a good way to learn about financial planning and the real costs of living. :)

£10 board
    £10 savings
    £10 spending

Yes, my first pay packet was £30 per week. :)

37 year old here, same applied to me £60 a week and £20 board £20 savings and £20 spending.....
  • Smodlet
    Smodlet Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Options
    "£100 per month." A hundred pounds per month??? I was paying my mother £80 per month in 1984!!! I offered £90, she asked for £70 so we settled on £80 and I still bought food, cleaning stuff, toiletries, treats...
  • diggingdude
    diggingdude Posts: 2,445 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Surely it doesn't matter how much one is paying so long as everyone is happy?

I'm back with my parents, initially whilst I was buying somewhere following a job move and its been just over a year now thanks to having an accident. I pay them not much below the rental rate for a 2 bedroom flat around here, no food included and my dad probably costs me more in beer than the rent :) This works for all of us. They don't like taking cash so I let them choose things that I buy for the house instead each month as they are 2 years into a 5 year redevelopment project on their home (can't say i see any improvement). Equally I don't feel hard done by as I totally appreciate the support. This is how families tend to work where I am from.
    An answer isn't spam just because you don't like it......
  • lookstraightahead
    Options
    tori.k wrote: »

I suppose it depends where your kids work, how old they are etc. I can't imagine for one minute my daughter coming back to live at home after uni, not for long anyway. I would rather her rent while she sorts out her life rather than being tied down to our sleepy old village (even though it's commuterable to London). Why can't young adults house share?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure