PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Ex-Partner wants 50% of family home - advice needed please

Options
Can anyone please help?
I was with me ex partner for 20 years, he left to move in with his girlfriend 12 years ago. Leaving me and our children, I have paid the mortgage, bills etc, receiving no maintenance as he doesn't work.
Previously i have paid thousands to solicitors to try and sort out the house but he just sends ridiculously stupid letters back, he was entitled to legal aid.
Now our youngest is 18 my ex is demanding 50% of the house.
All of my savings have depleted enormously is there any way i can fight this myself please

Comments

• armchaireconomist
    Options
    Let him take you to court.

Seeing as he's paid nothing in 12 year he's almost certainly not entitled to the full 50%, what was the arrangement when you bought the house together? Who paid deposit, 50/50 split on mortgage payment? How long did he live there? Need a lot more info.
  • boyzmummy
    boyzmummy Posts: 11 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi, Thank you armchair economist for your reply.
    Our property was purchase in joint names, we lived together for approximately 12 years. I have completely renovated the home since he left as it was unsafe for our children. The original deposit was paid by myself, the mortgage although in joint names has been paid by me. he is deliberately awkward and would even let me change to a cheaper interest rate as the bank needed his signature to do so.
    He makes comments such as " I am paying for his future as he has a 50% share of the house", he moved in with his gf and she has bought their house from the council in her name only (sensible lady).
  • TBagpuss
    TBagpuss Posts: 11,204 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    You need to see a solicitor and get some proper advice.
    As the house is owned in joint names, the starting point is that he is entitled to half the equity.
    If you are arguing that you should have more than that, you will have to show that there was a mutual agreement or understanding (which could be inferred from the whole course of your behaviour over the period you've been separated) that the split should be different.
    All posts are my personal opinion, not formal advice Always get proper, professional advice (particularly about anything legal!)
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,489 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You need to see a solicitor and get some proper advice.

The OP does not appear to have had much luck with solicitors....
    Previously i have paid thousands to solicitors to try and sort out the house but he just sends ridiculously stupid letters back, he was entitled to legal aid.

It is astonishing that the matter has not been resolved?

http://www.divorceresource.co.uk/buyingyourexpartneroutofthefamilyhome.html
  • Pixie5740
    Pixie5740 Posts: 14,515 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    What were you trying to sort out using a solicitor? Forcing the sale of the property? Forcing him to let you buy him out?

He could try and force a sale of the property through court and as a joint owner he could succeed. How is the property owned, joint tenants or tenants in common?
  • 00ec25
    00ec25 Posts: 9,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 9 July 2018 at 6:30PM
    Options
    so you are bitter and want revenge?

or you are bitter but want this sorted?

you cannot deny he lived with you for 12 years and contributed to the upkeep of your family any more than a man can deny that a non working woman brought "nothing" to the marital table when arguing over who is entitled to what based on no direct financial contributions

he won't get (deserve) 50%, but he sure should get something
  • FBaby
    FBaby Posts: 18,367 Forumite
    Options
    Sell the house and agree that he gets half of the equity gained from the time you bought the house together and the time he left and stopped paying.
  • tacpot12
    tacpot12 Posts: 8,005 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    No need to sell the house if the OP can buy him out for the sum calculated as half of the equity gained from the time the house was bought jointly to the time he left and stopped paying.
    The comments I post are my personal opinion. While I try to check everything is correct before posting, I can and do make mistakes, so always try to check official information sources before relying on my posts.
  • boyzmummy
    boyzmummy Posts: 11 Forumite
    Options
    Hi, thank you for your comments. I wanted to get this sorted out when he left and had the house valued and offered him 50% of the equity. He would not accept this, he was difficult and take ages to respond to solicitors, letters, prompting my sol to chase, which was mounting up the costs. He would respond eventually stating he wanted to come to the house to meet me with no one else present, not even our children, this is at the point where a solicitor told me to give up, he knew due to his past violence, he couldn’t do that, another was that I would sign an agreement that he never had to pay maintenance for our children.
    I don’t want revenge, at the same time I don’t want him to make it impossible for us to live our lives with debts just to pay out a greedy person. He once told me that he would not declare any earnings as he didn’t want to pay child maintenance.
    I would be happy to pay him 50% of the equity as when he left, but he wouldn’t accept this. I just wanted to know how I could fight this without all of the legal expenses
    Thanks again
  • Bass_9
    Bass_9 Posts: 151 Forumite
    Options
    Have you spoken to Gingerbread at all over the years?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure