End Of Lease

Hey everyone,

Long story short I’m coming to the end of a lease at a retail premises that we’ve had for 9 years.

In that time our landlord changed and at break clause, the new landlord tried it on with a rental increase of £10,000 - they were unsuccessful but the fees spiralled out of control as it went to arbration etc. It left a bad taste and as mentioned - cost my small business an arm and a leg.

We are moving our bus

Comments

• hairray
    hairray Posts: 65 Forumite
    Sorry pressed a button.

We are moving our business to another premises, once again the landlord has proposed a rent way above our means.

Sounds so sad, but with the money they!!!8217;ve cost my business, not to mention the stress - I!!!8217;m really worried about handing the keys back.

I have some questions that may help my mindset and help me plan for the future.

I would really appreciate someone with more knowledges advice.

1. Our lease appears to say the unit must be decorated in the last 6 months of tenancy with the shop front painted a colour of their choice.
    This isn!!!8217;t a problem, but the language of the lease confuses me, I don!!!8217;t know if I have any other obligations above this.

2. I!!!8217;m worried when I end my tenancy, they!!!8217;ll come after me for repairs or damages - the units in good condition but I!!!8217;m just worried they!!!8217;ll nit pick and come after me for amount more than my deposit.

3. Obligations as a tenant leaving - does the boiler have to be serviced. Do I need to hand over paper work - I didn!!!8217;t actually build the unit.

4. Is there a name for the ending agreement of a retail premises lease?

Once again, I!!!8217;m grateful for anyone!!!8217;s input. Solicitors fees for our new unit are quoted so high, I don!!!8217;t want to go in blind.

To say I!!!8217;m worrying is an understatement :/.

Best,
  • 00ec25
    00ec25 Posts: 9,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    sorry but you have a commercial lease and although this page may be headed small business it is not the place to look for legal advice. For commercial law you are expected to have checked out what you were signing before you signed it, you don't get the presumption of innocence available for consumer law

You need a solicitor experienced in commercial premises leases and how to read repairing obligations as it would be a very unusual commercial lease if it did not have them

as for ending it, you can surrender the lease, but again professional advice would be wise because there will almost certainly be conditions attaching to a surrender...
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,014 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Also worth pointing out that a good solicitor with experience in this area would be able to negotiate over clauses which seemed unfair or unduly onerous. For example, if the current premises had not been decorated for several years BEFORE you moved in, it might be unreasonable to expect you to redecorate both at the start of the lease and at the end. But the time for negotiating that would have been at the start of the lease, not now.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport