£40K sitting in non-interest bearing account

Options
What to do with it? I think I should be earning some interest, before inflation whittles it away!

Jon

Comments

• Terry_Towelling
    Terry_Towelling Posts: 2,279 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Well, what are you waiting for?

High-interest current accounts plus linked regular savers (Nationwide FlexDirect at 5% for example).

Some 'unlinked' regular savers too (Virgin at 2.25% perhaps)

How about some 1 year fixed rate accounts? (a few available paying between 1.8 and 2%)

What about a notice account? (Paragon 120-day paying 1.66%).

Have you thought about paying something into a SIPP/personal pension for the tax relief? We don't know your personal circumstances to know if this is suitable for you.

Do you have a mortgage? Perhaps some overpayments on that?

S&S ISA?

Spend it all on sweets?

There are many options open to you
  • kidmugsy
    kidmugsy Posts: 12,709 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Spend it all on sweets?

Do they still make rum & butter toffees?

But seriously, if you can't be fagged searching for suitable interest rates just bung it all into Premium Bonds before the end of the month.
    Free the dunston one next time too.
  • Brynsam
    Brynsam Posts: 3,643 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Click on the 'banking and saving' tab at the top of this page for plenty of ideas on where to invest.
  • Terry_Towelling
    Options
    kidmugsy wrote: »
    Do they still make rum & butter toffees?

They do! You can even get gluten free ones.

If OP can provide a bit more background, some more informed comment could be provided (not necessarily by me, though)
  • Jon12345
    Jon12345 Posts: 97 Forumite
    edited 3 July 2018 at 11:19AM
    Options
    Thanks for the great ideas so far!

Some more info...? Well, I already have £20K stored in a Santander account because they had a good interest rate at the time, so long as I keep paying £500 pm in there. I have one ISA with Virgin. I have a Virgin savings account with perhaps £15K in it.

In my business account, I have about £20K just sitting there. I want to keep maybe £5K there for expenses, but it is such a waste having £15K of it earning nothing!

With the pensions nowadays, can you draw out 100% at any time? I have no idea what is going on with the pension thing nowadays, as they have changed the rules so many times.
  • Terry_Towelling
    Options
    Do you have any pension provision beyond the state pension? That definitely seems like something you need to research.

Yes, it will be possible with some schemes to pull the whole fund out at once but only 25% of it will be tax free. The rest will be taxable as income subject to the normal allowances and tax bandings. There is a process, known as UFPLS (Uncrystallised Funds Pension Lump Sum) which lets you draw income where 25% of each withdrawal is tax free and 75% is taxable - again this will be scheme-dependent.

Beyond the above I am neither qualified nor in possession of enough information to advise you on pensions. Others will hopefully step in but they too will need to know more about your current pension arrangements.

Is the £15K your money or does it belong to the business? Either way, it is a waste for it not to be earning anything. Presumably, if it is business money then any interest earned will belong to the business unless you withdraw it and then there may be tax implications. Once again, I am not qualified to advise and I don't know how your business is set up.

Mortgage?

There are some very knowledgeable people on this forum and I hope they will be along soon to offer something more useful.
  • kidmugsy
    kidmugsy Posts: 12,709 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Yes, it will be possible with some schemes to pull the whole fund out at once but only 25% of it will be tax free. The rest will be taxable as income

Mind you, only if you are 55 or older, or are so ill as to be at death's door.
    (My instinct is that the OP hasn't reached 55; I may be entirely wrong.)
    Free the dunston one next time too.
  • Jon12345
    Jon12345 Posts: 97 Forumite
    Options
    I am close to 55. No mortgage.

Business is as a sole trader so leaving it in or drawing it out doesn't really affect the tax implications. There is no corporation tax.

As daft as this sounds, premium bonds seem like a good short term option. I that gives me say £30pm interest on average if I pay in some money from various sources. Currently I am getting nothing. I want to keep the money relatively liquid so I presume premium bonds can be cashed in pretty quickly.

I will also check out the pension option, as if I can draw on that more tax efficiently, it might be worthwhile.
  • enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,596 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    What you do with the £40k depends on how accessible it needs to be, your attitude to risk and willingness to spend time researching and the eventual aim for the money. At the moment it is being whittled away by inflation so it will be worth less in a few years time. Earning a return on it will minimise the loss.

If it needs to be readily accessible and you don't want to spend time opening up lots of high rate current accounts and regular savers and comply with funding requirements then premium bonds or national savings are easily accessed and earn some return.

If you are willing to open higher rate current accounts like TsB, Nationwide, Tesco, lloyds vantage and Bank of Scotland plus regular savers you could get most if not all of the £40k in accounts earning 2% or 3%. This involves setting up payments in monthly and most of them now ask for direct debits to be set up.

Pensions and investments are another option and certainly pensions are the most tax efficient. If you don't already have one you could open A SIPP and benefit from HMRC topping up your payments by 25%. You can access this after 55 but you need to decide which funds and platform to invest in and it will not be instantly available although you can hold cash within a SIPP.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Terry_Towelling
    Options
    Premium Bonds may give you some small prizes, or some large ones, or even the top prize but, equally, you may get nothing and you don't get anything until they've been invested for a full month. Probability and chance are separate things. Statistical Probability says you may expect to get X% in return but chance says you could get something or nothing at all.

If you want certainty you'd be better off with a simple easy access account paying about 1.3%pa or a notice account paying 1.66%.

Putting some in a SIPP to get the tax relief is an option but it may mean the cash is not fully accessible at once - and certainly not until you are 55. Although it seems like an easy way to get cash from HMRC, it may not be worth quite that much because you will likely have to pay tax on anything after the 25% TFLS - and you certainly won't want to draw it all out within the 1st year due to the high closure penalty at that point.

So, probably the best for speed, ease of access, a guarantee of a return and no faff is the good old simple savings account.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure