How do I know if approach to buy shares is legit?

Options
124»

Comments

• SnowMan
    SnowMan Posts: 3,358 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    T Here for anyone's interest is the intermediary company's name and website: stubblefieldadvisors dot com (can't post an actual link as a newbie)

Looks like the FCA added a warning on Stubblefield Advisors a month after you posted

https://www.fca.org.uk/news/warnings/stubblefield-advisors-llc
    We believe this firm has been providing financial services or products in the UK without our authorisation. Find out why to be especially wary of dealing with this unauthorised firm and how to protect yourself from scammers
    I came, I saw, I melted
  • jennyjj
    jennyjj Posts: 346 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I appreciate the help.

Think if you saw the email and how professional this set-up is you'd understand better why I wavered over its legitimacy and why I'd like to be able to report it if it's feasible.

Thanks again :)
    DING DING DING:
    Absolutely a scam. These very professional crooks actually outsource the logistics. Real invoicing businesses are used to invoice you for real NDA's ( which are bull...t. They even outsource the scripted calls to real call centres.

Totally walk away from any thought of dealing with them in any way or to any extent..
  • PeterWood45
    Options
    I fell for a similar scam with my Johnson Matthey shares, I initially dealt with a company called Bernstein securities, and then one called Stansfield associates. I lost over 100k.

Please do not get involved with anything like this :( As others have said if it sounds to good to be true it probably is....
  • Camster
    Camster Posts: 135 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    When considering if something could be a scam, it's often useful to check out who owns the website and how long it has been established.

.com websites can be checked on the ICANN website at:

https://whois.icann.org/en

I did a quick check on this website which indicates that the domain is owned by someone called Christopher Stubblefield, with the domain first registered on 13th June 2018.

No well established company website is going to be registered to an individual, and it's unlikely that a long established company only set up their website in 2018.

Clear signs of a scam.
  • LHW99
    LHW99 Posts: 4,222 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    No well established company website is going to be registered to an individual
    IMO that is rather a generalisation, though obviously not in this context.
    Small company domain names are registered to individuals reasonably often, and websites are changed / updated regularly.
    The important part is when the company itself was established, rather than its web presence. For UK companies, that is Companies House, where the history of the company, and many documents can be examined for free.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure