PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Managing agent withholding 6month rental is this legal?

Options
Our tenannts have paid 6month in advance rental to our managing agent but we the landlord are getting monthly rent from the agent is this a normal procedure or where can i get the legal advice on this pls? Thanks.

Comments

• pcwilkins
    Options
    Depends what you agreed with the agent. What does your contract with them say?

Peter
  • doglover_3
    Options
    Nothing mentions in the contract about if paying long term rental in advance i guess rare case, we have asked our agent about this and they told us its normal procedure for them to withold the money. The tenannts deposit is with the new deposit scheme with the agent.
  • pcwilkins
    Options
    ts_aly2000 wrote: »
    Erm, shouldn't that be in one of these proper holding accounts along with the deposit?

The deposit should be in a protection scheme --- no such scheme applies to rent paid in advance. What happens to rent paid in advance will be covered in the LA's t+c's.
    Tell me that your LA has put the deposit into one of these accounts and that the tenants have been given full details of where it is.

An important question but not strictly relevant to the OP's problem.
    If the answer to either of them is no and the tenant seems responsible then I'd ditch the LA. They're consistantly as bad as a troublesome tenant.

What, you'd ditch them even though they hold 6-month's-rent-worth of your money?

In any case, if OP has signed a contract with LA, he can't just ditch them.

Again I say, the situation will be covered by the contract between OP and LA. Just because T has paid 6 month's in advance to LA, doesn't necessarily mean that LA must pay 6 month's in advance to LL.

Peter
  • chocolatechipcookies
    Options
    Are they apart of the tenancy deposit scheme? If not they are breaking the law.

But as far as paying you, they should do it monthly, eve if they have paid up front. You can always have a word with your LA, most are very helpful.
  • doglover_3
    Options
    We were just wondering if it's legally printed somewhere where can we check as we are new with the rental thing, not only they have banked a big sum of money but also say the LA goes out of business what happens to the tenannts money and who will pay our rent? Unfortunaly Our LA are not aproachable at all when comes to this issues and we will probably not use them again in future.
  • carolt
    carolt Posts: 8,531 Forumite
    Options
    Unless you specifically agreed to get the money upfront yourself, there may be little you can do at the moment. But I'd vote with your feet and ditch the agents in future - their loss not yours.
  • Notlob
    Notlob Posts: 335 Forumite
    Options
    I would discourage the LL to having the advance rent and the LA should put it in a client account. All that money seems very tempting to a LL, although the downside is what if the agent went bust. Not a problem if held in a client account.

If a LL came to me and insisted that advance payment be paid over, I would agree to do it as long as it was not part of the agreement with the tenant.

Were you not expecting rent monthly anyway?
    Notlob
  • mightymouse
    Options
    Hi

If the tenancy agreement stated that there was to be advanced rental (say because of bad credit by tenant) then the money is the property of the LL and should be passed across by the LA.

If it is treated as deposit and refundable them it goes in a deposit scheme.

Either way the LA is probably NOT an Authorised deposit taker within the meaning of the Financial Services act. (imho)
  • doglover_3
    Options
    Interesting reply we got from our LA manager today, the reazon they thought would be better for them to hold the full rental paid in advance was incase there was a major incident in the house and they had no funds with them and that at least they should keep 1month rental with them which to us sounds more reasonable though we have cover policies for everything.
  • Notlob
    Notlob Posts: 335 Forumite
    Options
    doglover wrote: »
    Interesting reply we got from our LA manager today, the reazon they thought would be better for them to hold the full rental paid in advance was incase there was a major incident in the house and they had no funds with them and that at least they should keep 1month rental with them which to us sounds more reasonable though we have cover policies for everything.

If agents pass all the rent to you and they manage the property, how would they be able to pay contractors? Agents should hold a float anyway and keeping one months rent as a working float in this instance seems sensible.
    Notlob
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport