PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

What does this leasehold clause actually mean about having pets?

Options
2»

Comments

• LizzieC2018
    Options
    Hi David,
    Yes I have read the lease thoroughly (thankfully it's quite straightforward) and there isn't any other clauses. So perhaps I should just proceed as normal in that case!
  • eddddy
    eddddy Posts: 16,488 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 30 June 2018 at 1:19PM
    Options
    I will of course speak to my solicitor on Monday to make sure we can get this in writing or get the lease amended accordingly, and then down the line when I am able to get dog, it will be OK.

It probably won't be possible to get the lease amended - or anything binding in writing.

Leases generally covenant (or promise) that all the leases in the building will be the same as each other. (So, for the sake of an example, if your lease says you're not allowed to keep a pet, then nobody else is either.)

So your lease probably cannot be changed in isolation.
  • LizzieC2018
    LizzieC2018 Posts: 21 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your valuable comments and input.

So, having read through all your comments, is my interpretation of the clause as follows correct?

A pet is allowed provided that it doesn't cause a nuisance / annoyance to any occupiers of the building..and that I'm pretty much at the mercy of the rest of the building's residents regarding what constitutes nuisance / annoyance. If someone else in the building feels the pet (hopefully a dog in my case) is a nuisance/annoyance (for whatever reason), they can complain and the leaseholder / management company has the right to make me get rid of that pet?
  • theartfullodger
    theartfullodger Posts: 14,640 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Allotments Act 1950 means you can keep rabbits and chickens.
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    A 'nuisance' in law has an objective (and fairly high) definition, not merely what your neighbours find irritating.
  • LizzieC2018
    Options
    Thank you, that's useful to bear in mind :)
  • need_an_answer
    need_an_answer Posts: 2,812 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 30 June 2018 at 2:37PM
    Options
    I think you may also want to look at it from the side of IF someone (or a collective)makes a complaint and its decided that the matter will be taken further would you still be happy living in a property where potentially you and your dog is not welcome.

Its not so much the fact that I actually even believe that the majority of these disputes get to the point that it goes to court or the pet removed,but I guess you would need to be pretty thick skinned living amongst a set of residents who clearly take issue with you and your pet.

My point being that its the people around you who can be more hostile than the actual legal challenge.

Its good that potentially an "exception" is being made for you but I do wonder how many others this head leaseholder has dismissed previously.

It sort of sounds like he's happy to change the rules to suit his purpose ie selling to you with consent when maybe he hasn't always granted the same privilege to other owners.
    He's walking away having maybe lit the fuse....
    in S 38 T 2 F 50
    out S 36 T 9 F 24 FF 4

2017-32 2018 -33 2019 -21 2020 -5 2021 -4 2022
  • LizzieC2018
    Options
    Thank you, that is also worth bearing in mind, I appreciate your comments :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure