Fascicularia bicolor

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Greenfingered MoneySaving
1 reply 543 views
WeAreGhostsWeAreGhosts Forumite
3K Posts
Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
✭✭✭✭
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Greenfingered MoneySaving
I have a Fascicularia bicolor in a small pot and it's flowered successfully for a few years. It's now completely pot bound, so much so that I'll have to break the pot to get it out. Does anyone have any success with these in the ground?
I'm guessing it would like my incredibly dry summer soil, but not the winter wet (on heavy clay)?
Also, what do I do with the spent flowers? They just remain looking brown deep down in the (spiky!) foliage. Should they be left alone?

Replies

• edited 28 June 2018 at 8:53PM
    SilvertabbySilvertabby Forumite
    6.9K Posts
    Fifth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 28 June 2018 at 8:53PM
    Growing tips

Good drainage is essential, so dig in lots of grit or grow fascicularia in a raised bed. Don't be tempted to enrich your soil as this will encourage lots of leaves and few flowers. After flowering the rosettes begin to die but new ones quickly form from the base. Pull away the dead foliage to prevent disease spreading from the rotting leaves. Mine grow very well in a partly shaded bed but they are best in full sun.
    In the 1950s the RHS said that fascicularia could only be grown in the warmer southern counties of England. Today it is successfully grown throughout Britain - I have seen healthy specimens thriving in South Yorkshire - perhaps because of changing climatic conditions. It will withstand temperatures down to at least -10C as long as it is not in wet soil. If you live in a very wet area consider growing it in a large pot and keeping it in a cold greenhouse during the winter.

Probably best to re-pot it rather than plant it out in a clay border.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Lloyds Bank wrongly declares customer dead

Account was closed due to a misreading

MSE News

Cheap home insurance

Grab 100+ buildings insurance quotes & cashback

MSE Guides

£12 for 1L Baileys

Available at Tesco, Morrisons & Asda

MSE Deals