Sky Q question

Katykat
Katykat Posts: 1,743
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Forumite
Had it installed yesterday. I downloaded a programme and noticed that there was a glitch playing it back. The picture & sound went off for perhaps 1 second then came back on. It did this about 10 times in a 1 hour programme. It did the same whilst watching football live last night. Is this something I can sort out, or have I got to grit my teeth and phoneSky ( when I get a spare 2 hours to hang on the phone)
:smileyhea A SMILE COSTS ABSOLUTELY NOTHING

Comments

• DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,595
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Try turning the box off then on again.
    Give the sky forums/community a go.
  • We are having the same issues with our new installation. Sky say it may be a firmware issue with the LG TV which is apparently a known problem.

We updated the software via settings but the latest update doesn't seem to have resolved the issue. We have also done all the troubleshooting tests but still no joy.

We will be back on the phone to them again today.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 5,186
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    There's a few threads on the Sky forums about this with various suggestions. The main culprit seems to be the new Q box with the external power brick, Sky have replaced some of these with the older box with built in power transformers.

If you've got the external power supply try disconnecting the power cables and reconnecting them. There apparently is a dormant setting on the box called "Powerline" which is presumably for future use to pass data over the ring main to the mini boxes. If you can find it, try turning the feature off.

https://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Archived-Discussions/Sky-Q-intermittent-black-screen-for-a-second-or-two/td-p/2771328
    https://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Sky-Q/Sky-Q-drops-out/td-p/2750754
    https://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Sky-Q/Sky-Q-Picture-and-Sound-keeps-cutting-out/td-p/2775617
  • Katykat
    Forumite
    At the moment, Sky are sending an engineer out tomorrow. I!!!8217;ll update then
  • Katykat wrote: »
    At the moment, Sky are sending an engineer out tomorrow. I!!!8217;ll update then

We have one coming today! Will update later and compare notes!
  • Sky engineer said we had two options: an older box with a built-in power supply or contact LG for the latest software patch which is not universally available but is by request only.

My OH chose the latter and LG are sending it out to him asap.
  • Katykat
    Forumite
    Our Sky engineer also advised us to contact our TV manufacturer ( Toshiba). To be fair, he knew straight away what the problem was, said it is a fault on the SkyQ box, it is not communicating very well with certain TVs but they know about it and are working to fix it. To be fair, he did change the box but the problem persisted. Toshiba are now sending us a USB with a software update. The guy at Toshiba said they have had numerous requests for this. Fingers crossed.
  • Katykat
    Forumite
    Update. Toshiba sent the USB stick with concise instructions and it worked. No more blips in sound & picture.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.3K Life & Family
  • 246.6K Travel & Transport