PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Unadopted Alleyways

Options
13»

Comments

• YoungBlueEyes
    YoungBlueEyes Posts: 4,158 Forumite
    First Anniversary Homepage Hero Photogenic First Post
    edited 26 June 2018 at 10:57PM
    Options
    I've not heard 'snicket' for a while....

Maybe this all needs it's own thread ha haa!

Edit: I use snicket if it's a little cut-through type path i.e. I'll just snick through there so I'm not late.

Snickets are thinner shorter ginnels, and are usually grassed. In my world :undecided
    Michael J Fox's middle name is Andrew.
  • p00hsticks
    p00hsticks Posts: 12,966 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Davesnave wrote: »
    Definitely 'ginnel' in Yorkshire. he word is used in the 1953 episode of the children's educational TV series, "How We Used to Live," based in 'Bradley,' (Bradford.)
    I see your Yorkshire ginnel and raise you a snicket.

Used fairly interchangeable round here in Norf Yorkshuh

And in York itself they now tend to refer to 'snickelways' - a recent amalgam of snicket, ginnel and alleyway

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snickelways_of_York
  • quantumlobster
    Options
    I see your Yorkshire ginnel and raise you a snicket.

Used fairly interchangeable round here in Norf Yorkshuh
    Feh and nonsense!

It's obviously a jitty.
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    Are there some parts of the country that don't have a "local" name for them then?

As I'm not aware of any for South West England - though that doesnt mean to say there aren't any (as I only know a couple of "local" phrases for anything....:rotfl:).
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 27 June 2018 at 8:17AM
    Options
    Are there some parts of the country that don't have a "local" name for them then?

As I'm not aware of any for South West England - though that doesnt mean to say there aren't any (as I only know a couple of "local" phrases for anything....:rotfl:).
    "Us be gwin down the drang, dreckly " would have been what local children might have said when I was a child in North Devon, meaning: "We're going down the back lane in a minute."

('Dreckly' is not really "directly," but stands for any future time, while 'backalong' refers to any period in the past.Time is rather non-specific here!)
  • LandyAndy
    LandyAndy Posts: 26,377 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Noo I'm not in Hull, I'm about half an hour away in a little market town :)

I thought 10-foot was a Yorkshire thing... and I thought ginnel was an Irish thing (my mother always called it the ginnel - "Are ye fer putting that bin in the ginnel or do I have to do it meself?"

Ginnel is what we call it in Somerset.
  • YoungBlueEyes
    YoungBlueEyes Posts: 4,158 Forumite
    First Anniversary Homepage Hero Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Snickelway.... how very inclusive :D
    Michael J Fox's middle name is Andrew.
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    Davesnave wrote: »
    "Us be gwin down the drang, dreckly " would have been what local children might have said when I was a child in North Devon, meaning: "We're going down the back lane in a minute."

('Dreckly' is not really "directly," but stands for any future time, while 'backalong' refers to any period in the past.Time is rather non-specific here!)

Ta.

I know "us be gwin", "dreckly" and "back along".

The "drang" is a new one on me.
  • martindow
    martindow Posts: 10,232 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Just found this discussion of regional names

https://blog.oxforddictionaries.com/2014/10/02/regional-words-alleyway/

Other local names include jitty, ennog, gully, chare and twitchel amongst others.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure