PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Unadopted Alleyways

Options

Comments

• moneyistooshorttomention
    moneyistooshorttomention Posts: 17,940 Forumite
    edited 26 June 2018 at 8:24AM
    Options
    If the drain is a water authority one (Sewer, gully pot for surface drainage etc) I would talk to them.

That sounds a good avenue to go down:T

A recent law (made in the 2010's) means local Water Authorities are responsible for all drains, etc, that are outside someone's personal "boundaries".

Amend historical suggestion to "Try this avenue first".

When there was a problem with drains in the back alley of my last house - the Water Board were in there on the case instantly and sorted it as soon as they were told about it (even though the land concerned had formerly belonged to the houses themselves - albeit I was told verbally the land was now the City Councils property). I couldn't fault them on that (but am guessing other Water Authorities would be just as efficient/co-operative as South West Water was on that occasion).
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    am guessing other Water Authorities would be just as efficient/co-operative as South West Water was on that occasion.
    Possibly, but with the highest water rates in the country, we tend to get better service, less hosepipe bans etc.:A

Some areas didn't fare so well in the recent freeze-ups, as Ofwat have even more recently pointed-out.
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    I wish it always worked that way Dave - Welsh Water come a very close second on their water charges (ie a good bit higher than the rest of the country) and I took it that I'd get the same level of efficiency as South West Water then.

I wish.......tries not to think about the number of times there has been problems with my water supply since moving here (and I live in a town.....). Usual thing is they come out pretty quickly/do a bodge repair and so it goes wrong again and they come out pretty quickly and do a bodge repair and so it goes wrong again...

Feels like Groundhog Day dealing with them sometimes....and I don't quite get why they are so much more inefficient than one elsewhere in the country...but they are....:cool:
  • martindow
    martindow Posts: 10,232 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    LandyAndy wrote: »
    Are you in Hull by any chance? That's the only place I've ever heard it called a 10-foot.

And I think the OP's alley would be called a ginnel in Hull wouldn't it?
  • humptydumptybits
    Options
    I've found South West Water to be pretty useless, the worst water authority I've ever had to deal with.
  • missprice
    missprice Posts: 3,735 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    martindow wrote: »
    And I think the OP's alley would be called a ginnel in Hull wouldn't it?

It's a ginnel in yorkshire and a 10 foot in Hull.
    Dunno why.
    63 mortgage payments to go.

Zero wins 2016 😥
  • YoungBlueEyes
    YoungBlueEyes Posts: 4,158 Forumite
    First Anniversary Homepage Hero Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Noo I'm not in Hull, I'm about half an hour away in a little market town :)

I thought 10-foot was a Yorkshire thing... and I thought ginnel was an Irish thing (my mother always called it the ginnel - "Are ye fer putting that bin in the ginnel or do I have to do it meself?"
    Michael J Fox's middle name is Andrew.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Definitely 'ginnel' in Yorkshire. he word is used in the 1953 episode of the children's educational TV series, "How We Used to Live," based in 'Bradley,' (Bradford.)

Freda Kelsall, who wrote the series, was meticulous in her research. As a historian, she couldn't afford to get things like that wrong.
  • YoungBlueEyes
    YoungBlueEyes Posts: 4,158 Forumite
    First Anniversary Homepage Hero Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I remember having to watch that in school...

Sorry to hijack you're thread OP. Finding a local historian is a good idea, but I think if you can it'd prob be quickest to get your neighbours on board and sort it out yourselves :)
    Michael J Fox's middle name is Andrew.
  • marliepanda
    marliepanda Posts: 7,186 Forumite
    Options
    I see your Yorkshire ginnel and raise you a snicket.

Used fairly interchangeable round here in Norf Yorkshuh
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport