British Gas Charges

Options
Hi,

Last year I received a rebate from BG for £144. They wanted to put my tariff down but I said I wanted it to remain the same. Anyhow, they are now wanting to put my monthly payments up to £251 per month from £170 but we don't use half as much energy as our 2 children have now left for University/Work. Can anybody help?
Thanks

Comments

• Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,106 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Are you bills based on Actual or Estimated readings?

Do you read your meters at least monthly and send the readings to BG and also keep a record for yourself?

What tariff are you on and when did you last switch /
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • SpiderMam
    SpiderMam Posts: 15 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Robin

I have a smart meter. I'm just confused as to how its gone up so much especially since we use nowhere near what we used to use. I'm just going to keep an eye on it now and make sure the readings from the smart meter match what we are being billed.
    Thanks for the reply
  • Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,106 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    It has been known for the supplier not to use the Smart readings - check your bill.
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,609 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    The fact that you've got a smart meter doesn't automatically mean that they are billing correctly

As Robin says, check your bills against meter readings. Never ever accept an estimated bill, get it corrected immediately.

I had a smart meter and still checked it every week so I know when I'm using a lot of leccy and can do something about it if it's wrong. It's not smart anymore since I changed suppliers but I still check it and send the info to my supplier every month.

If you dont monitor your consumption yourself then you cant control it.

I know they should be fit and forget but I'm inherently sceptical about stuff and want to check for myself
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport