Getting out of long contracts

Options
I have to say, I've just started looking at broadband deals and I'm quite frankly depressed. It's like haggling for petrol after telling the garage you've run out.

So I've just moved into a place that I don't want to stay more than the 6 month contract. All the deals are like 12 month / 18 month contracts!! Ridiculous, do ISP's all think there's no such thing as 6 month rental contracts? Should we have to pay through the nose because of that? No way and f*** them, what are the consequences of trying to terminate one of those long BB contract early??

Comments

• ValiantSon
    ValiantSon Posts: 2,586 Forumite
    Options
    You have to pay the full cost of the contract, so if you leave after 6 months of a 12 month contract you have to pay the cost of the outstanding 6 months.

There are shorter deals available, but they are generally more expensive. You can compare them here: https://broadband.moneysavingexpert.com/?_ga=2.120580104.1000856561.1529005931-1118697181.1497394998

These companies are businesses who have to make money. They are not there to do you a favour.
  • AndyPK
    AndyPK Posts: 4,241 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    terminate early and you have to pay the remaining months (or transfer to new address I think). So avoid virgin as their service isn't available everywhere.

I saw a 6 month deal only yesterday. But it was very expensive, so better going for 12 months in case you end up staying longer.
  • mije1983
    mije1983 Posts: 3,665 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    I have to say, I've just started looking at broadband deals and I'm quite frankly depressed. It's like haggling for petrol after telling the garage you've run out.

So I've just moved into a place that I don't want to stay more than the 6 month contract. All the deals are like 12 month / 18 month contracts!! Ridiculous, do ISP's all think there's no such thing as 6 month rental contracts? Should we have to pay through the nose because of that? No way and f*** them, what are the consequences of trying to terminate one of those long BB contract early??

If there was high demand for 6 month contracts, then more would exist. I would suggest that a lot of people intend on staying in a property for more than 6 months so you will be in the minority.

As said, rolling or short term contracts are around, just not as plentiful. And you will likely have to pay more than a 12/18 month one. That makes sense as they are businesses whos aim is to make money, not make your life easy.

Mobile broadband is also an option for the shorter term. Lot's of rolling contracts available in that market.

I'd suggest seeing someone if the lack of 6 month BB contracts makes you feel depressed and angry like this!
  • victor2
    victor2 Posts: 7,600 Ambassador
    I'm a Volunteer Ambassador First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options

Will cost you a bit more, but why not consider a MiFi device, especially if you're in an area with a good 4G signal?
    You can get them PAYG or monthly rolling contracts, and can take it with you when you move. For example Three offer a Huawei unit for £39 up front then £10 per month for 2GB data on a rolling monthly contract. No need to mess with landlines and installation, disconnection or terminating the contract when you move.

I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the In My Home MoneySaving, Energy and Techie Stuff boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. 

All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

• boliston
    boliston Posts: 3,012 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    i'm with aaisp and they have always offered both 1 month and 6 month contracts without any further lock-in - they charge a setup fee for a 1 month term but no setup for 6 months - their standard fee is £25 per month for adsl or £35 per month for fibre and £10 for line rental (no obligation to take line rental from them)
  • boatman
    boatman Posts: 4,699 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Nowtv, SSE and Plusnet all do 1 month contracts.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    what are the consequences of trying to terminate one of those long BB contract early??
    The consequence will be that you will be charged an Early Termination of Contract (ETC) fee which is generally not much less than continuing your contract to the end of the minimum term. Not paying an ETC is just inviting a defaulted debt and, ultimately, a CCJ.

ETCs are currently the subject of scrutiny by the Regulator, but don't hold your breath hoping for a free escape.

If you only intend to stay in your current abode for less than six months, be sure not to sign any long term contract(s).
  • pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Don't forget, the costs of installation and set-up for the provider are the same for a 1 month contract as they are for an 18 or 24 month contract, so you can expect them to be loaded upfront
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure