Best/cheapest plan for PAYG for OAP parent

Options
lidlfan
lidlfan Posts: 36 Forumite
I recently got my OAP mum one of these as she has currently got no phone and was previously spending a fortune with BT on landline and calls to directory enquiries.https://www.amazon.co.uk/BW-Wireless-Quadband-GSM-especially/dp/B0084D59TW

Can anyone advise what would be the best SIM card to get in order that she can receive calls only and maybe make the odd call out? She used to spend a lot on phoning catalogue companies too so just something that will stop her spending much but allow her to take calls from me and other family members.

Comments

• mgfvvc
    mgfvvc Posts: 1,181 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Plusnet £6 monthly might be good as long as she doesn't keep phoning directory enquiries.
  • eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,575 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    The cheapest PAYG would be O2 Classic, 3p per minute for calls. See how long a £10 top-up lasts, and if she can avoid directory enquiries. Order the free SIM online and install it to check there is sufficient signal showing, before you top-up.

1p Mobile, or the cheapest monthly SIM-only contract, I think ID Mobile £4/month, may be better for increased usage.
    Evolution, not revolution
  • dorks
    dorks Posts: 202 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 23 June 2018 at 7:38AM
    Options
    eDicky wrote: »
    The cheapest PAYG would be O2 Classic, 3p per minute for calls. See how long a £10 top-up lasts, and if she can avoid directory enquiries. Order the free SIM online and install it to check there is sufficient signal showing, before you top-up.

1p Mobile, or the cheapest monthly SIM-only contract, I think ID Mobile £4/month, may be better for increased usage.

Cant do ID mobile as theres no 2g signal with them and OPs device requiring sim would appear to be 2g only.

1p mobile is probably the best bet.....and dont forget, you even get >£5 top cash back for them too.
  • eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,575 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    dorks wrote: »
    Cant do ID mobile as theres no 2g signal with them and OPs device requiring sim would appear to be 2g only.
    Thanks for the correction, I forgot that ID uses the Three network.
    Evolution, not revolution
  • lidlfan
    lidlfan Posts: 36 Forumite
    Options
    Can you only get 1p mobile online or can you buy the sim anywhere in the shops?
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 5,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    lidlfan wrote: »
    Can anyone advise what would be the best SIM card to get in order that she can receive calls only and maybe make the odd call out? She used to spend a lot on phoning catalogue companies too so just something that will stop her spending much but allow her to take calls from me and other family members.

As said earlier, don't use anyone on the Three network as it won't work in that listed phone. This is a list of the various networks, just ignore anyone on the Three network:

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/phones/piggybacking/#tablepiggyback

The next step is finding out which of the 3 remaining main networks gives a usable signal in the exact spot where the house phone will be sited. You'll need to test with O2. Vodafone and EE sim's (any of the MVNO's who use their networks will do too), I would use the house phone as it's 2G only just to make sure.

Use the links following (some "contracts" are rolling monthly deals such as Plusnets) to determine the best deal (ignoring the data & text allowances) on which ever network has the best signal:

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/phones/cheap-sim-only-contracts/

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/phones/best-pay-as-you-go-sim-cards/

When you've got it set up input the numbers of all of the catalogues that she uses but make sure you use the free numbers (Google them if necessary, don't just take them off any paperwork) and show her how to use the phone book.
  • Anthorn
    Anthorn Posts: 4,362 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I recently got my OAP mum one of these as she has currently got no phone and was previously spending a fortune with BT on landline and calls to directory enquiries.https://www.amazon.co.uk/BW-Wireless-Quadband-GSM-especially/dp/B0084D59TW

Subjective because it depends on whether a signal is available, how strong it is and whether 2G is available.

Where I live O2 provides a 4-bar reception but EE provides 2 bars. For your purposes O2 Classic PAYG is your best bet if you get a decent signal. 2G 3p per minute, 2p per text, 1p per MB but data might not be needed and credit doesn't expire so long as you keep the account active by making a chargeable activity at least every 6 months. Minimum top-up £10.00p. But the account is managed in My O2 on the web site or a mobile app which might not be good in the circumstances. Avoid ringing customer services which costs 25p per call when I last looked.
  • jenniewb
    jenniewb Posts: 12,836 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I signed my dad up to GiffGaff on their lowest £5 a month option, means he can call and text but gets a minimal amount of data (which he wont use anyway) the main point is that it automaticly tops up every month, yes that means he potentially loses phone minutes and texts he may not use, but it also means I don't have to keep an eye on making sure he has topped up so he can still use it and be contactable as it's an automatic £5 direct debit every month.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    O2 Classic would be the best 2G PAYG.

If she has 2G EE coverage, Plusnet (EE/BT subsidiary) are currently offering unlimited minutes, text and 1.5GB data for £5 per month - you can also cap it.
  • Mellick
    Mellick Posts: 17 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Can you only get 1p mobile online or can you buy the sim anywhere in the shops?

It is online only
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport