Smart Meters and Energy Monitors

Options
2»

Comments

• andyfzr
    Options
    I keep getting calls and emails apparently on behalf of my energy supplier trying to get me to have one of these meters installed. Even though I keep declining, they keep ringing me and emailing me desperately trying to get me to have one installed. I just have no need for it as I'm happy just emailing my meter readings when requested and I have a basic energy monitor that clamps onto my main meter wire that gives me a rough idea how much I'm using. I dare say they're a good idea for most people but some of us are happy to do things the old way and without letting the power company tracking your every amp of power used. They just don't seem to take no for an answer though. They ring me and I tell them no then they ring again another day, its like they're desperate for me to have this meter and they think if they keep asking me then I'll suddenly change my mind one day.
  • Sterlingtimes
    Sterlingtimes Posts: 2,408 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    From the Ovo site, the following suppliers use Secure Smart Meters:

"we [Ovo] use Secure smart meters. There are a few other energy companies using the same type of Secure smart meters. At the time of writing this they are Co-operative Energy Ltd, E (Gas & Electricity), Economy Energy, Ecotricity, Electricity Plus Supply Ltd t/a The Utility Warehouse, EON Energy, Eversmart Energy Ltd, First Utility Ltd, Robin Hood Energy Limited, Spark Energy Supply Limited, Toto Energy Limited and Utilita Energy Limited."

Nothing was as good for monitoring as Ovo's Smart Gateway which they have recently abandoned with customer disregard.

However, the Chameleon IHD now works with Economy Energy and is quite a useful little device. The smart meter readings can be taken from the device without visiting meter, and electricity and gas consumption observed. I particularly like the negative power readings which I get when I solar panels are exporting electricity: at that point I know that I am wasting power and need to increase my usage productively.
    I have osteoarthritis in my hands so I speak my messages into a microphone using Dragon. Some people make "typos" but I often make "speakos".
  • Michaelw
    Michaelw Posts: 296 Forumite
    Options
    gsmlnx wrote: »
    There isn't a real use for the IHD. They are a sop to the consumer to get buy in to the project. Indeed in most cases when the IHD dies, that is it for the consumer. Most suppliers will not offer a replacement and most IHD's are installer linked to 1 meter only. So no DIY linking of a replacement.
    If only the Pipit 500 had been designed by some one with a bit of foresight (and the whole project to be frank). then the data would be easily accessible to the consumer who is footing the bill for this fiasco.

I found the in home display far more useful in prepayment rather then credit mode,credit top ups are far easier with the display rather then having to manually read the meters and the choice of payment methods is greater then card/key however British Gas migrated their pc card/key programmer service to smart meters by closing the service down making the former then easier.

In credit mode the pounds just flew by dreading the bill the display has rather less of a roll once supposed savings have been identified,prepayment removed that bill so happy to not run up huge amounts.Its important to remember still read the meter for the true real time amounts not the IHD which has a time lag.
  • WhoIsThat
    WhoIsThat Posts: 234 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    andyfzr wrote: »
    I keep getting calls and emails apparently on behalf of my energy supplier trying to get me to have one of these meters installed. Even though I keep declining, they keep ringing me and emailing me desperately trying to get me to have one installed. I just have no need for it as I'm happy just emailing my meter readings when requested and I have a basic energy monitor that clamps onto my main meter wire that gives me a rough idea how much I'm using. I dare say they're a good idea for most people but some of us are happy to do things the old way and without letting the power company tracking your every amp of power used. They just don't seem to take no for an answer though. They ring me and I tell them no then they ring again another day, its like they're desperate for me to have this meter and they think if they keep asking me then I'll suddenly change my mind one day.

How odd, becuase Ebico are not yet currently installing smart meters... :cool:

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5861039
  • System
    System Posts: 178,104 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    WhoIsThat wrote: »
    How odd, becuase Ebico are not yet currently installing smart meters... :cool:

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5861039

Could it be because Ebico does not actually hold a Supply Licence, and therefore it is not obliged to fit any smart meters in its own right? It's supply partner is Robin Hood Energy which is in the process of rolling out smart meters to its customers as are all Licence Holders. In sum, watch this space.
  • silverwhistle
    silverwhistle Posts: 3,798 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Why have they contacted me by email then? No idea under whose auspices it was to be installed, but as there's no way I'll have a SMETS1 I've been ignoring them.
  • WhoIsThat
    edited 27 June 2018 at 10:53AM
    Options
    Hengus wrote: »
    Could it be because Ebico does not actually hold a Supply Licence, and therefore it is not obliged to fit any smart meters in its own right? It's supply partner is Robin Hood Energy which is in the process of rolling out smart meters to its customers as are all Licence Holders. In sum, watch this space.

Well it could be, I suppose.:cool:
    Particularly if, after about 20 years of being in business without a supply licence, they are now going to get a supply licence of their own.
    (Why would they do that?)
    But Ebico have partnered with National Grid Smart for their smart meter roll out programme.

From ebico's own website:
    Do you offer smart meters?
    All homes in Britain will have their gas and electricity meters replaced by smart meters over the next few years as part of Government plans. You can read more about their benefits here.

We will be rolling out smart meters to all our customers over the next few years. We will write to you with more information when we are ready to install one in your home. In the meantime if you already have a smart meter from another energy supplier and you switch over to Ebico, it may revert to !!!8220;dumb!!!8221; mode please contact us for more details.
    Source: https://ebico.org.uk/faqs/

Btw, from Robin Hood's website, it appears they only currently supply smart meters to PAYG customers
    https://robinhoodenergy.co.uk/home-energy/smart-meters/
  • WhoIsThat
    Options
    Why have they contacted me by email then? ...

Have you signed up for online account management?
    If so, that's probably why.

You don't have to agree to online account management with ebico, but they do charge you £22.50 per fuel extra if you don't (or give you £22.50 discount if you do, which is the way they actually word it).
    This applies for all their credit tariffs except their zero tariff, but it's not hidden - it's all clearly explained on their website :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure