We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Indoor orchids

Options
2»

Comments

• doberly
    doberly Posts: 17 Forumite
    Options
    Old thread I know, but I am curious if you are using a specific type of fertilizer for your orchid plants. I bought two orchids (Phalaenopsis to be exact) at orchid republic last month. They look fine but I want to keep them healthy.
  • Misslayed
    Misslayed Posts: 14,174 Senior Ambassador
    First Anniversary Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Baby Bio make a specific orchid feed (same shape bottle but pink). But don't overdo it, orchids really do thrive on neglect.
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Competition Time, Site Feedback and Marriage, Relationships and Families boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com All views are my own and not the official line of Money Saving Expert.
  • doberly
    doberly Posts: 17 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you! Will research about it.
  • madjackslam
    Options
    Mine seem to do better with a feed, but I just use ordinary baby bio.

I enjoy trying to keep them alive and get them to flower again, but for cost-effectiveness and quality of home decoration, I think there's a good argument for treating them as a bunch of flowers and composting them when they've finished flowering. I bought a lovely speckled pink number from Ikea for £5, and it's been flowering for three months. What bunch of flowers gives you that value? When it finishes, I'll try and coax it to flower again, but I doubt it will be as good as this first one.
  • Steve_xx
    Steve_xx Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    edited 9 November 2018 at 11:09AM
    Options
    Mine seem to do better with a feed, but I just use ordinary baby bio.

I enjoy trying to keep them alive and get them to flower again, but for cost-effectiveness and quality of home decoration, I think there's a good argument for treating them as a bunch of flowers and composting them when they've finished flowering. I bought a lovely speckled pink number from Ikea for £5, and it's been flowering for three months. What bunch of flowers gives you that value? When it finishes, I'll try and coax it to flower again, but I doubt it will be as good as this first one.

It will be as good when it flowers again. I have a speckled one from Ikea and it's on it's second flower now. This flower is just the same as the first.

All good advice on here. Orchids are actually very easy and do not need too much fuss. As others have said, don't leave them in water for than an hour while they soak up what they want. Make sure the water is tepid, so as not to shock them in colder months. Rainwater is preferable but I have used tap water. I have a water butt that collects rainwater and so I decant some from it into a watering can and leave it inside so that the water reaches room temperature, ready for the orchids.

They like it relatively cool.

Oh, and don't be tempted to repot them if they look cramped. They need to be cramped in order to flower.
  • strawberries1
    Options
    How have you looked after them?
    Flick216 wrote: »
    I have two indoor orchids in my office that have been there for 3 years! They are flowering beautifully at the moment.

They seem to last forever and even if they look as if they will never flower again, they will.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure