Urgent help needed for changing dates on a holiday

Hi all,

Hope you are all good?!

So this Tuesday I was meant to be travelling to Barcelona for four days, three nights with my partner for her 30th birthday.

I booked my hotel, flights, everything through lastminute.com.

Two to three weeks ago my partner got some upsetting news from the hospital that required to come in for treatment.

After her biopsy, she has had an MRI scan, and the results require her to be in the hospital next week, when we were meant to be away in Barcelona. Without going into the medical situation in too much detail, it is serious and requires our priority and focus over everything.

Knowing that we wouldn’t be able to fly out, I contacted last minute to arrange to change the dates for a month later (July 24th to be exact).

The service I have received from lastminute.com has been more than frustrating. I have sent them over my medical documentation to prove I have been unable to attend, but the lack of help I have had has made a stressful situation even more stressful.

The first meaningful conversation I have had from anyone from lastminute.com cane on Friday and they informed me that to change dates it would cost me 488 pounds!!! On top of that as well, that would have to be paid by today (Sunday 17th June).

Firstly I don’t believe I should have to pay that amount of money for something that has been completely out of my hands.

And secondly, due to the lack of real support from the company I booked everything with, I have Been asked to come up with close to 500 pounds in two days when my money has already gone on bills and covering days off work my partner had had due to this unfortunate medical situation.

All I want to do is change the dates, to a month later. I’m meant to be flying out this Tuesday and I am anxious that I’m going to have no meaningful resolve by then and the calls I will lose all my money which would be so upsetting.

Does anyone know anything that I can do?

Kind regards,

James

Comments

• atolaas
    atolaas Posts: 1,143 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Have you taken out travel insurance? It MAY be possible to claim against that due to the circumstances. Check the Terms & Conditions :-D
    SPC7 ~ Member#390 ~ £432.45 declared :j
    Re-joined SW 9 Feb 2015 1 stone lost so far

Her Serene Highness the Princess Atolaas of the Alphabetty Thread as appointed by Queen Upsidedown Bear
  • I was planning on it before we left without a doubt, but everything went out of my mind with the news we had, that I unfortunately didn!!!8217;t do it. Where is the humanity of these companies?!?

Thank you for your reply and input - I appreciate it
  • Unfortunately, these travel companies simply want to make money which is why they are inflexible.

Travel insurance should be bought before any holiday is booked not afterwards, sadly, you have learned this the hard way. I would always have an annual policy in place as often they cost little more than individual holiday cover.

I hope your partner recovers well.
  • Thanks for the reply! Yeah it!!!8217;s most definitely something I regret in hindsight. Crazy how maybe 20-30 pounds for a policy would potentially negate me from having to pay 500 pounds.

Certain situations require exceptions to the consumer. I would like to think this would be one of them. I!!!8217;m not looking at cancelling, just changing the dates on something I!!!8217;ve already paid for, not paying over half more of what the holiday cost me in the first place.

Apologies - for my frustration. What you have said is completely right, just an upsetting situation for myself.
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,542 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    BartramUk wrote: »
    Crazy how maybe 20-30 pounds for a policy would potentially negate me from having to pay 500 pounds.
    It would not have negated it - the fare rules of the ticket still apply but you have had somewhere to possibly look for reimbursement
    Have you checked if it is cheaper just to buy a new ticket?
    your current ticket will likely have change fees and fare difference and I assume July is more expensive than June so worth comparing
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure