Opening an account at Starling Bank

Options

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,102 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Given that it's back in the weekly newsletter, again saying every tom !!!! and harry will be accepted if they don't want an overdraft, is there a way to get MSE to actually correct/clarify this!?!

Agreed, I sent Anne (CEO) an email asking her to investigate this.
  • System
    Options
    So Anne responded and just basically said she cannot help us and they can't change their process.
  • Bank_Advisor
    Options
    It might not be information from Credit file agency. Starling use Callcredit (CRA) for identity checks. Just because you have a default on CRA does not mean this is the reason for decline (your not asking to borrow money at this stage).
    It could be a marker registered somewhere else. They use CIFAS for fraud prevention. Normally nothing shows up on CIFAS. You need to check the Fraud Prevention Agencies (FPA's). It might be worth checking Synthetic Solutions as this is a big one. You need to do a Data Subject Request (now free was £10). The other one is National Hunter.
    If there is any marker from a bank account application, all banks will see this and you will not get one anywhere. Even prepaid have started using this......Starling is a bank so there will be small detail somewhere in there internal system that mandatory declines anyone who has a fraud marker with there name on it. There all subject to FCA conditions but can have there own policy on who they accept. Its just idea but this is why I was declined due to fraud marker - instant refusal why still there.
  • System
    Options
    Waited my 12 months, applied again, declined.

I have my defaults from 2015, but all paid off. No debt anymore and 1 credit card with £0 balance out of £1500.

So no idea why I was declined this year, wrote to Synthetic Solutions, no fraud marks against my name. So who really knows lol. Emailed Anne again asking if I could appeal this, seems a little harsh.
  • I work in a bank, so 100% no fraud maker!!

I might email Ann for a laugh, see what happens
  • OceanSound
    OceanSound Posts: 1,482 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    I had the same with Starling after over 2 years discharged, they definitely either credit check or do a public record check even if you don't want an overdraft.
    It certainly doesn't JUST do an ID check as MSE suggests!
    When I went through the process of opening account via app it said they don't perform a credit check. Then on the 'declined' screen they say refer to our terms section X, where you can find details of the credit reference agency you may need to contact. So, what they've said at the start (no credit check used) contradicts what they say at the finish.

I suspect MSE is just getting the 'ID Check only' detail from Starling, and not doing any checks to verify/fact check.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Yep imagine that is the case! Rather poor MSE do keep mentioning it - it's not that hard to check and get it right.

For what it's worth when I'm finally eligible next year (no more adverse data), I won't want the account anyway (as I'll be able to get a decent credit card) - so they've ultimately lost a customer. Whether people who use it for foreign transactions only are profitable is another matter!!

Under GDPR one has the right to request all data. Would be interesting to pay attention to the 'application' stages of the data supplied and decline codes/reasons etc!
  • boo_star
    boo_star Posts: 3,202 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Yep imagine that is the case! Rather poor MSE do keep mentioning it - it's not that hard to check and get it right.

For what it's worth when I'm finally eligible next year (no more adverse data), I won't want the account anyway (as I'll be able to get a decent credit card) - so they've ultimately lost a customer. Whether people who use it for foreign transactions only are profitable is another matter!!

Under GDPR one has the right to request all data. Would be interesting to pay attention to the 'application' stages of the data supplied and decline codes/reasons etc!

Most of that will be redacted, as it's commercially sensitive information.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I doubt it, I've got very detailed notes from everywhere I've asked.

A few have redacted staff names/user IDs but many haven't even bothered to do that.

They won't explain system/processes etc. to you (although the information should still make enough sense to a reasonable person), but for example with Creation I can see my internal scoring history over the last 24 months (but no idea what those scores mean, but it's obvious they've 'improved') and reason for an increase being denied.

With Lloyds I can see Credit Policy Decline due to "Adverse Bureau Data" for cards and my pre-approved limit for Overdrafts (although this does also show on online banking).

I don't actually intend to ask Starling for the data, but redacting large portions of it won't go down well with the ICO IMO - although there are probably no 'test cases' yet.

Factual information (e.g. declined due to CCJ found) should be given to applicants. Which if that did apply to Starling, would prove they are credit searching at a minimum, possibly even credit scoring
  • OceanSound
    OceanSound Posts: 1,482 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    With Lloyds I can see Credit Policy Decline due to "Adverse Bureau Data" for cards and my pre-approved limit for Overdrafts (although this does also show on online banking).

I made subject access request (SAR) to halifax back in Dec 2015. Back then my credit history was quite bad. Halifax sent me everything I requested, after a bit of stalling mind you (asking to complete a form etc..- which I didn't do by the way). It came in a huge bundle, and amongst the statements, letters, activity logs, screenprints from their PBS (personal banking system?), there were reams of sheets explaining acronyms/codes (I had asked/mentioned this in the SAR - I think even if you don't ask they have to include them by law).

I also asked for risk scores. Amongst the bundle was various docs and screenprints that showed my risk score was 9. The documents explaining the abbreviations and codes had a subheading 'risk band' then underneath:
    Risk bands are numbered 1 to 9. A policy reason e.g. low credit turnover may also be on display.

On the docs and screensprints, I could see the following info:

Risk information
    Value
    Policy Reason

Risk band

Credit card new
    £0
    Decline: Credit Bureau Data
    Overdraft - Incl available
    £0
    Loan - add Amt avail
    £0
    Decline: Credit Bureau Data

Debit Card
    Debit Card
    Loan score indicator
    C

Valid until
    08/01/2016

I hadn't actually applied for a loan or credit card anytime before lodging the SAR, somehow there seems to be a marker against those products. Perhaps the credit check that was run when I applied for the Easycash account in Sep 2010 was all that was necessary (for Halifax to see the adverse credit history and come-up with the policy reason).

But then I wonder how the valid until date became so. Seems to be somewhere between 5 and 6 years from the date I applied for the Easycash account.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure