Opening an account at Starling Bank

Options
Has anyone who is bankrupt and been discharged managed to open an account with Starling Bank. Its one of the new mobile only banks and I applied but have been rejected. It did say on MSE website that they only did an ID check if you didn't apply for an overdraft. Looks like this information is incorrect.

I've been discharged almost 3 years now.

Here is what the email said:
"Based on the information you provided, we have done our checks, and are unfortunately unable to open an account for you at this time.

We understand you may like to know why; and we can say it is due to one or more matters arising from the identity, fraud prevention or credit checks we have conducted.

If you are unaware of any information held by credit reference agencies or fraud prevention agencies that might impact your ability to open a bank account, we suggest you seek, in the first instance, a copy of your credit report from one or more credit bureaux in the UK."

Comments

• SteveCat1
    Options
    I had a similar issue, but presumed it was due to a default from last year.

Couldn't see any easy to find out if it was a problem with my details, so gave up and deleted the app.
  • daedal
    daedal Posts: 58 Forumite
    Options
    SteveCat1 wrote: »
    I had a similar issue, but presumed it was due to a default from last year.

Couldn't see any easy to find out if it was a problem with my details, so gave up and deleted the app.

Got to be more than just a default my partner has a couple of defaults and opened a Starling account without any problem.
  • SteveCat1
    Options
    I get monthly credit report from Noddle, and it only shows one. Don't know then.
  • BillyBills
    BillyBills Posts: 27 Forumite
    Options
    Might want to try the German equivalent, it!!!8217;s called n26? Find someone in Germany to act as your address, it!!!8217;s app based like starling, not sure what their policy is but worth a try? A friend of mine got it, and he doesn!!!8217;t have the best financial history either...
  • Tiger1975
    Options
    I have just applied and been accepted with Monzo so might be worth trying them if you still want something similar.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I had the same with Starling after over 2 years discharged, they definitely either credit check or do a public record check even if you don't want an overdraft.

My credit check would have failed due to high searches. A public record check would have failed due to Bankruptcy.

It certainly doesn't JUST do an ID check as MSE suggests!

Also - Monzo were fine for me. Upgraded to their new 'bank account' (it used to just be a pre-paid card) and they gave me a £500 overdraft despite having BR on my record (searched Call Credit, where I'm borderline 1 or 2/5 depending on the day of the week.....)
  • Tiger1975
    Options
    I had the same with Starling after over 2 years discharged, they definitely either credit check or do a public record check even if you don't want an overdraft.

My credit check would have failed due to high searches. A public record check would have failed due to Bankruptcy.

It certainly doesn't JUST do an ID check as MSE suggests!

Also - Monzo were fine for me. Upgraded to their new 'bank account' (it used to just be a pre-paid card) and they gave me a £500 overdraft despite having BR on my record (searched Call Credit, where I'm borderline 1 or 2/5 depending on the day of the week.....)

Got the Monzo card today but they wouldn't give me an overdraft due to a County Court Judgement on my credit file (no mention of the bankruptcy)

Yesterday I was accepted for PayPal credit with a £1000 limit :eek:
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Monzo seem to be doing their best to annoy everyone - regular (normal credit worthy!!) posters are being told computer says no, we operate a conservative lending policy etc.... then I'm given £500 (ex-BR)! Madness. I never use it, just nice to have reported to CRAs.

PayPal credit are a good alternative too - they also seaerch Noddle. Only gave me £250!

Shows how mental credit scoring is - Paypal gave you 1k and Monzo £0. I got £250 from Paypal, but £500 from Monzo!!

I'm not even going to re-attempt a Starling application!
  • System
    System Posts: 178,103 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Also declined with a few defaults from 2015, it's a shame as I really would've liked to try them out!
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Given that it's back in the weekly newsletter, again saying every tom !!!! and harry will be accepted if they don't want an overdraft, is there a way to get MSE to actually correct/clarify this!?!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure