MSE News: Millions of card details targeted in Currys PC World and Dixons Travel hack

Options
Currys PC World and Dixons Travel have admitted the details of more than seven million customers have been compromised in a huge data hack...
Read the full story:
'Millions of card details targeted in Currys PC World and Dixons Travel hack'
OfficialStamp.gif
Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.
Read the latest MSE News
Flag up a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
Get the Free Martin's Money Tips E-mail

Comments

• aj23_2
    aj23_2 Posts: 1,155 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Pay cash. Or if they still accepted cheques.

Wouldn't have this problem. People will start moving back to cash what with Tesco Bank and TSB Bank hacks and not being able to access money online, and shops like this group having 7 million customers card details hacked.
  • davehills
    davehills Posts: 404 Forumite
    Options
    Personally, I don't shop at Currys any more than I have to, and I know others also try and avoid the place.

This could be the final nail in their coffin. I certainly won't be shopping there any more.

I predict: DSG to issue profit warning in the next 18 months.
  • Zanderman
    Zanderman Posts: 4,696 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    aj23 wrote: »

Wouldn't have this problem. People will start moving back to cash what with Tesco Bank and TSB Bank hacks and not being able to access money online, and shops like this group having 7 million customers card details hacked.

TSB was hacked? When was this?
  • SnowTiger
    SnowTiger Posts: 4,461 Forumite
    Options

LOL.

People have very short memories.

TalkTalk (also part of the Dixons Carphone group) had a well publicised data breach in 2015, yet remains one of the UK's big four Internet providers, with four million customers.
  • Doc_N
    Doc_N Posts: 8,291 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Here's the email (or at least, one version of what they're sending out):

Dear Customer,

I am writing to you as a precaution after we discovered during a review of our systems that some non-financial personal data held by Currys PC World and Dixons Travel had been accessed in the past using sophisticated malware.

Our investigation indicates that this may include details such as your name, address, phone number or email address.

There is no evidence that this information has left our systems or has resulted in any fraudulent use of the data at this stage. We are contacting customers whose data was accessed so that you are informed and to recommend you take the following next steps:

•If you receive an unsolicited email, letter, text or phone call asking for personal information, never reveal any full passwords, login details or account numbers until you are certain of the identity of the person making the request.

•If you think you have been a victim of fraud you should report it to Action Fraud, the UK's national fraud and internet crime reporting centre, on 0300 123 2040.

We take the security of your data extremely seriously and have launched an investigation and put in place extra security measures. We have taken action to close off this access and have no evidence it is continuing. Nevertheless, we felt it was important to let you know as soon as possible.

We apologise for the inconvenience and any concern this may cause.

Yours sincerely,
    Antreas Athanassopoulos
    Chief Customer Officer

"There is no evidence that this information has left our systems or has resulted in any fraudulent use of the data at this stage."

How could they possibly know?
  • karlie88
    karlie88 Posts: 9,114 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options

:rotfl::rotfl:
    :grouphug: :D Official MSE canny forumite and HUKD VIP badge member :D :grouphug:
  • aj23_2
    Options
    SnowTiger wrote: »
    LOL.

People have very short memories.

TalkTalk (also part of the Dixons Carphone group) had a well publicised data breach in 2015, yet remains one of the UK's big four Internet providers, with four million customers.

Who has a short memory?
  • SnowTiger
    SnowTiger Posts: 4,461 Forumite
    Options
    Who has a short memory?

Customers of companies that have hit the headlines following hacks and data breaches.

I doubt "People will start moving back to cash what with Tesco Bank and TSB Bank hacks and not being able to access money online..."

I'm talking generally. I know you're all itching to say you wouldn't touch TSB, Tesco Bank and Dixons Carphone with a barge-pole.
  • aj23_2
    Options
    SnowTiger wrote: »
    Customers of companies that have hit the headlines following hacks and data breaches.

I doubt "People will start moving back to cash what with Tesco Bank and TSB Bank hacks and not being able to access money online..."

I'm talking generally. I know you're all itching to say you wouldn't touch TSB, Tesco Bank and Dixons Carphone with a barge-pole.

Not sure what you're on about tbh. I don't see the relevance to what I originally said.
  • Herbalus
    Herbalus Posts: 2,634 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Not sure what you're on about tbh. I don't see the relevance to what I originally said.

You said people would start distrusting cards/online etc and go back to cash and cheques.

Snow Tiger said people have short memories and will forget about this quite quickly and carry on with cards/online without issue, giving the example of TalkTalk retaining most of their customers after their breach.

So the people who have short memories are the customers of hacked companies, on the premise they will soon forget about the hack and continue using the company.

I thought your "who has a short memory?" was actually a joke (as if you had forgotten who had a short memory), but it's quite ironic that it wasn't.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure