Forum Home» Old Style MoneySaving

Prepping for Brexit thread - Page 106

New Post Advanced Search
We are currently experiencing a high volume of spam and have increased the sensitivity of our spam filters. This could mean that genuine posts may get caught. If you believe this has happened to one of your posts, please email the Forum team on [email protected] As always, we are really grateful for your patience whilst we get this sorted - which we'll do as soon as possible.
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Prepping for Brexit thread

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Old Style MoneySaving
3.6K replies 493.4K views

Replies

• NargleblastNargleblast Forumite
    10.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Debt-free and Proud!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    We are where we are, and swimming in that river in Egypt hoping it will all go away is not going to help. No country has left the EU before so it is all new territory for all the 28 countries. For all we know, our transition from EU to non-EU may involve minimal disruption to our lives. On the other hand there may be significant issues to deal with until things settle down.

Everyone has to look at how leaving the EU could affect themselves and their family. Remember, we joined coming up to 46 years ago and became one of a group of seven countries. Now we are one of 28, the organisation has quadrupled in size and at least quadrupled in complexity, so anyone able to remember with any clarity how business was carried out 46 years ago will find it is now a completely different world. We are all, individuals, politicians and businesses, operating in the dark looking at possibilities and forecasts as to how things might be.

If you have a small business, or your family relies on income from other EU-based companies, then you need to look into how the change will affect your lives. You may decide that you would be better off moving to another EU country, but if that is the case then that situation should have been looked at and prepped for a year or two ago. Now is a little on the late side, so you may have to stick it out and see how things go.

You may want to wait before renewing passports, or on the other hand get your renewal in early. Depends really on where you are likely to want to travel.

Bearing in mind some of our utility companies are foreign-owned, will that initial transition period affect our energy supplies? It shouldn't, but you might want to consider alternative forms of heating and lighting in case of emergencies.

You might think your favourite wine or EV olive oil will rocket in price. In that case stock up now or find acceptable substitutes (eg EV cold pressed English rapeseed oil).

You may be worried about medication supplies- stock up as far as you can now, GP surgery systems permitting, and talk to your pharmacist about supply chains, they might have more of an insight than Fred on the Internet.

Stocks of food items that can make up nutritious meals are always handy.

All this is part of prepping for the worst whilst hoping for the best. If all the social media panic comes to nothing, you won't have lost anything, but you will be ready for whatever comes, Brexit or the next Beast from the East (rumour has it we're getting another one soon.)
    One life - your life - live it!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]
    0 posts
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts I've been Money Tipped!
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Good post Nargle, I'm a prepper anyway regardless of the political situation and regardless of what might or might not happen at the end of March next year. I find it makes sense to keep stock levels of useful things up and my eye on this unpredictable world and its happenings constantly. No one of us can hope to weather all unexpected events untouched by them but I strongly believe that if you're prepared as much as you feel is necessary life might be quite a lot better until they are over than if you had only what you stood in. People really can chose to decry preppers and prepping and try to make us out as eccentric loonies if that gives them any satisfaction, it doesn't change a single fact that I believe and that is to try as hard as I can to keep me and mine safe and well. This holds for Brexit too, there is bound to be some anger and turmoil, hard and harsh words will be hurled willy-nilly at those who think differently to some posters who will hurl them at any target they think they might be able to hit but nothing will change what happens and the fact that we shall all have to deal with what life brings then. I'd rather do the dealing with from a prepared position so I will carry on prepping and hoping I don't need the preps but knowing I've done all I can if I do need them.
  • Living_proofLiving_proof Forumite
    1.8K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    I think the general upset on this thread rather goes to prove the assertion that there will be quite a lot of civil unrest in the future with opposing sides blaming the other for any difficulties which may ensue. I suspect most of us are always prepared for those eventualities which can be foreseen, like appalling weather, banks not operating in the way they should, sudden price rises and food shortages, etc. It's difficult to imagine what might have been overlooked in all our preparations and the only thing that worries me is that I would be totally unable to protect my property if looters were about. Unless my 6'1" lodger happened to be about, of course. Today I am giving all my meat and fish away, it has been taking up room in a freezer ever since I went Vegan and if someone else can make use of it, so much the better. I can then batch cook nutritious pulse-based foods which will be easily heated through. Of course if there are frequent and prolonged power cuts, I will be up the proverbial without a paddle. With regard to medicines, I have been trying to get my dose cut for some time and would happily take my tablets every other day to eke them out. I know others will have more critical medication requirements and let's hope the emergency planners at local authority level will have contingency plans. My real concern is that foreign powers will take advantage of us being in such disarray and hack into power and water supply systems, bank systems (which already seem to be less than robust), the odd drone here and there...... Quite honestly you couldn't make the whole Brexit scenario up and now anything might happen. The only saving grace to me is that the immediate difficulties will happen in the Spring when there is less need for light and heat and hope springs eternal with the expectation of better things to come. Like any mess in life, you just have to make the best of it.
    Solar Suntellite 250 x16 4kW Afore 3600TL dual 2KW E 2KW W no shade, DN15 March 14
    Mortgage and Debt Free. Unfortunately Pension Free too!
  • ancientofdaysancientofdays Forumite
    2.7K posts
    Fifth Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    We have always kept enough food in to ensure that we are able to eat for a couple of months so even if we are short on salad and some fresh stuff, we will not go hungry. The point above about a lower need for power and heat in spring is a good one. If we were to lose our gas supply, there is a camping stove and I have a candle supply though might add to that.

Yes, feelinags are running high and I suppose that those who are keen on departure feel just as strongly as I do, as a remainer, but I can see little point in ranting about that now, the damage is done. I am sad though.
    I was jumping to conclusions and one of them jumped back
  • machasravenmachasraven Forumite
    44 posts
    Fourth Anniversary 10 Posts
    We have several months worth of food kept in reserve but we are also lucky in being semi rural so we if we needed to can nip down the road and get our own rabbits etc. I have camping gear and a generator for power problems, the heating is gas but I have solar panels for hot water so if we have electric but no gas then we should have hot water most of the time.

I have a medication reserve as my medications are not common ones and there have been supply problems in the past.

In saying this I have made no changes for Brexit apart from the odd item as this is the way I have always been.
    “HUMAN BEINGS MAKE LIFE SO INTERESTING. DO YOU KNOW, THAT IN A UNIVERSE SO FULL OF WONDERS, THEY HAVE MANAGED TO INVENT BOREDOM. (Death)” - Sir Terry Pratchett
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
    0 posts
    MoneySaving Newbie
    It may not be considered particularly OS but yesterday we went for a trip to our nearest large town and went for a walk and Aldi was open so we popped in and they had their un-iced Christmas cakes and Christmas puddings reduced to half price so I got two 907gram cakes for £1.99 each and two 907gram Christmas puddings for £1.89 each. Good solid food which will store for at least two years according to the best before dates on them and it would be an almighty life to spirits to have a slice of fruit cake in dire times wouldn't it?
  • cuddlymarmcuddlymarm Forumite
    1.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Hi guys
    I have a windup torch and loads of candles in case of a power cut. We live in quite a warm little flat so blankets will easily be enough to keep us warm if needed. I try to keep my phone and iPad charged so I won’t be bored for at least a few hours.
    We live outside a town and hopefully if there is any unrest we will be able to keep away from.
    I think the main problem might be prices rising and I’m not stocking up loads of food, just enough for a few weeks. A buffer in case of bad weather, or shortages, or so that the cost of living rising won’t be too much of a shock.
    My extra stocks are mainly canned goods which I rotate every time I shop. I always keep my freezer full ( it’s not that big but will feed us for about a month) and plenty of breakfast cereal. We aren’t fussy eaters and have no special diets so it’s not as complicated as for some. Everything I buy will be used up, no waste.
    January NST 2/16
    44 posts
    If anyone is worried about cooking in a powercut etc and has outdoor space even a balcony look at a Cobb or equivalant https://www.cobb-bbq.co.uk/. The Cobb was designed for people in Africa with no electric and it is amazing. We do currys, roasts, cakes and loads of other food on it. We use the restaurant charcoal briquettes which you can put out and reuse so no wastage.
    “HUMAN BEINGS MAKE LIFE SO INTERESTING. DO YOU KNOW, THAT IN A UNIVERSE SO FULL OF WONDERS, THEY HAVE MANAGED TO INVENT BOREDOM. (Death)” - Sir Terry Pratchett
    0 posts
    MoneySaving Newbie
    I have an OzPig to cook outside on which is a free standing pot bellied stove with a cook plate and a keep warm plate. She runs on scrap wood and old sticks and is a very useful piece of kit. We also have a Kelly Kettle for boiling water and making tea that rins on twigs and bits and pieces also a very useful piece of kit and very portable too!
    44 posts
    Oooh liking the Ozpig might have to include that in my inventory :j.I love the cobb as it will cook for 6 hours with very little fuel basically its a portable oven/hotplate/grill. Kelly kettles have to be one of the best things ever.
    Im a firm believer in always having a backup.