Housing Benefit - Management Fee

Options
Hi,

I'm currently employed, but my employment will be coming to an end in the next few months due to my ill health.

I have been given a sum of money, and I'm going to use this to buy an apartment (with a shared kitchen and bathroom), outright. There will be no mortgage. Once I have bought it, I will live there as my sole residence, and will have no other money/income.

After I have bought it, in order to live in the apartment, I need to pay a 'management fee'. This is about £130pcm, and covers things like the upkeep of the building, cleaning of communcal areas, insurance etc. I am obliged to pay this, as it's determined within the lease. Basically - if I don't pay the management fee, I can't live there.

I understand that if I owned a house, and the land it sat on, no housing benefit would be paid. But this is a different situation.

Could I claim housing benefit for the management fee in this circumstance?

Also, if it makes any difference, it's a leasehold property, with a few hundred years outstanding on the lease.

Cheers. :)

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 4,176 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    BristolMan wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm currently employed, but my employment will be coming to an end in the next few months due to my ill health.

I have been given a sum of money, and I'm going to use this to buy an apartment (with a shared kitchen and bathroom), outright. There will be no mortgage. Once I have bought it, I will live there as my sole residence, and will have no other money/income.

After I have bought it, in order to live in the apartment, I need to pay a 'management fee'. This is about £130pcm, and covers things like the upkeep of the building, cleaning of communcal areas, insurance etc. I am obliged to pay this, as it's determined within the lease. Basically - if I don't pay the management fee, I can't live there.

I understand that if I owned a house, and the land it sat on, no housing benefit would be paid. But this is a different situation.

Could I claim housing benefit for the management fee in this circumstance?

Also, if it makes any difference, it's a leasehold property, with a few hundred years outstanding on the lease.

Cheers. :)

Curious about this because I thought you could only claim if shared ownership for the rent side.
  • NeilCr
    NeilCr Posts: 4,430 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 11 June 2018 at 6:42PM
    Options
    From this I'd say no.

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/help-if-on-a-low-income/housing-benefit/help-with-your-rent-housing-benefit/

"To get Housing Benefit you must pay rent"

Caveat

IIRC you can get it for mooring fees even if you are not renting.
  • BristolMan
    BristolMan Posts: 28 Forumite
    Options
    _shel wrote: »
    Curious about this because I thought you could only claim if shared ownership for the rent side.

Yeah - it's not shared ownership. I'll own the bedroom outright, I'll just have to share the kitchen/bathroom. The service charge/management fee pays for (amoug other things) those.
  • BristolMan
    Options
    NeilCr wrote: »

Yeah - the thing is, I think that I am sort of paying rent. I'm renting the building that my flat sits in. I don't own the building, and I'm asked to pay a monthly fee towards its upkeep.
  • Stop_Watch
    Stop_Watch Posts: 122 Forumite
    edited 11 June 2018 at 6:47PM
    Options
    https://www.entitledto.co.uk/help/Eligible-rent-for-Housing-Benefit-and-service-charges

It is not rent but it will depend on what is included.

EG. Is it communal heating/hot water

My mum gets help with hers, she did not know until on of her neighbors told her. She had been paying monthly from her pension for over 7 years!
  • Alice_Holt
    Alice_Holt Posts: 5,955 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I, too, think the answer is likely to be no.

You may be able to get a more definite answer from Shelter.
    https://england.shelter.org.uk/get_help
    Alice Holt Forest situated some 4 miles south of Farnham forms the most northerly gateway to the South Downs National Park.
  • BristolMan
    Options
    Stop_Watch wrote: »
    https://www.entitledto.co.uk/help/Eligible-rent-for-Housing-Benefit-and-service-charges

It is not rent but it will depend on what is included.

EG. Is it communal heating/hot water

My mum gets help with hers, she did not know until on of her neighbors told her. She had been paying monthly from her pension for over 7 years!

The (bigger) problem I have is that the service charge includes all electricity and water rates. That's why I was originally looking into this. But a LA Benefits number told me that I wouldn't get anything as I "own" the property. I suspected that I wouldn't get it all covered, and they'd want to withold a percentage. But I didn't know that they's state I wouldn't get anything.

I suppose it all depends on your defition of rent. I don't have an AST, but I do need to pay a monthly fee to continue being housed.

In fairness to the LA, they said that they've never received a query like this before. Thankfully, when UC comes into that area soon, I can go to UC and ask them. I suspect that they might have a clearer idea, as they've probably dealth with people in a similar situation before.
  • Ames
    Ames Posts: 18,459 Forumite
    Options
    Why would you buy a room? It sounds a bit dodgy - I'd suggest posting on the housing forum here to get advice about whether it's a sound investment or not.

I very much doubt that universal credit will have come across this before, the system's struggling to deal with even straightforward situations. Housing benefit departments will have far more experience than UC.
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.
  • BristolMan
    Options
    Well - the problem is this:

1) The room is incredibly cheap. Like - it's less than £15K.

2) I'll need to live somewhere. £15K is 2 or 3 years rent.

3) As a disabled person, who will be living on ESA, I'd find it fairly difficult to get a landlord who'd want to let to me.

So bascially - I can either claim housing benefit to pay my rent, and potentially struggle to find somewhere to live, and have all of the horrible aspects of being a tenant (e.g. no security / wasted money), or I can just buy somewhere like that outright, and have security.

A big influencer is my health. I'm genuinely worried that I'm going to be unable to work. I'm not getting any younger. This is my last chance to buy. And buying a sh*thole is, IMO, better than renting one.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure