£7300 british gas new boiler replacement cost

Is this deal expensive? well i know its expensive but is it excessive?

I just had a quote from British Gas. This was meant to be an 'offer' from the guy who came to do the survey. He was twice as expensive as the next plumber who is local to my home.

is the extra money worth the piece of mind of using a large company who are well known?

I also need my central heating renewing but this doesn't cover any pipes or radiator or connections to them.

i actually got it down to £7000 and another £350 off if i signed today but i was too worried. I thought British Gas had offers on all the time and were at least affordable :rotfl:

Comments

• plumberpaig
    plumberpaig Posts: 65 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 7 June 2018 at 3:21PM
    I would guess that it's very excessive, especially as you've had other quotes and the highest was half of this.

As explained in the other thread, you don't have to use British Gas to get a good job done. Using a good local and reputable company will usually ensure as good, if not a better job, than British Gas's subcontractors.

If you could break down the quote so we can take a look it would be better. I cannot believe that it's just a straight combi boiler swap because I've never seen a price this high for such a job, even from British Gas.

You've probably got a needless Powerflush in there for no reason at all! You might have a price for some scaffolding? Horizontal flue will add a few hundred pounds? Are you moving the boiler? Maybe they need to do a little bit of electrical work and the gas engineer isn't qualified? Maybe you're getting your hot water tank and cylinder removed?

How many bedrooms and bathrooms do you have and where do you live and what boiler did they quote for?

:)
  • hello plumber.

I won't be using british gas after hearuing some of their horror stories and especially as they are coming out so expensive for our job.

I live in an almost 3 bedroom house but size of a 2 bedroom really, small office and 2 beds. 1 bath. The boiler will be in the loft and they say i need a scaffolding and a power flush as the water is always dirty in an old system - its very old actually. I wont now be moving the boiler.

Thanks for your help.
  • Andy123.
    Andy123. Posts: 17 Forumite
    What region of England do you live in, and what exactly are they doing for that price?
  • plumberpaig
    plumberpaig Posts: 65 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Did you get your boiler installed in the end then?

I know you were after a Worcester 25i or 30i. You've got lots of replies on your other thread:
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5853164
  • longwalks1
    longwalks1 Posts: 3,734 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    We are in SE England and had EON Energy replace our old gravity fed system in January or Febuary with a new Worchsr Bosch combi boiler for I think £2,700, and we got it interest free for 48 months
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure