PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

So tired of denial of the state of the housing market

Options

Comments

• jimbog
    jimbog Posts: 2,123 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Gather ye rosebuds while ye may
  • Crashy_Time
    Crashy_Time Posts: 13,386 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    jimbog wrote: »
    Welcome back! :)

From your link:

Spring numbers, I expect they will creep up

Thought Spring was the busiest time?

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/property-log/jccihedpilhidcbkconacnalppdeecno
  • Bass_9
    Bass_9 Posts: 151 Forumite
    Options
    But there's a delay isn't there? The latest data will be at least a few months old, possibly not that long after Christmas where (in my experience) things are only starting to pick up.
  • 51mm5
    51mm5 Posts: 177 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Sales volume crash is it now crashy? No longer interested in prices?
  • buggy_boy
    buggy_boy Posts: 657 Forumite
    Options
    51mm5 wrote: »

To be fair he never said what type of crash it would be, have to say I did laugh at the hpc link, the conspiracy that stats were not being updated indicates we have a crash on our hands lol.
  • tom9980
    tom9980 Posts: 1,990 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've helped Parliament
    Options
    Why would rightmove or indeed agents care about high prices anyway, they would make more money from higher volumes of sales so surely a true HPC would benefit both in the longer term.

I expect the real reason rightmove stopped updating the data is because nobody was using it or they have decided to update it every 6 months instead. It's a lovely conspiracy theory though.
    When using the housing forum please use the sticky threads for valuable information.
  • bluefukurou
    bluefukurou Posts: 97 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I like the interior of the house how you have it and the stairs are great; my Eames lounge chair would fit right in. Congratulation on the offer.
  • Crashy_Time
    Crashy_Time Posts: 13,386 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    51mm5 wrote: »

Putting a price tag on your house isn`t much use if no one will buy it? Sales volumes are a forward indicator of where prices need to be, and the only thing that is keeping all this nonsense afloat now is record low interest rates. It is amusing to see people chanting about how great high prices are as less and less houses sell at those prices, a bit like having a shop full of mars bars that no one wants and standing outside chanting about how much you got for one last month, and how much more they will cost next month :rotfl: Add to this that rising prices make your next move more expensive and it is a classic example of greed ruling people`s thinking.
  • BrassicWoman
    BrassicWoman Posts: 3,204 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Have received an offer from a kitchen designer! How is that for findingthe right buyer? :-)

hurrah! well done you
    2021 GC £1365.71/ £2400
  • ReadingTim
    ReadingTim Posts: 3,970 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 14 June 2018 at 3:20PM
    Options
    Putting a price tag on your house isn`t much use if no one will buy it? Sales volumes are a forward indicator of where prices need to be, and the only thing that is keeping all this nonsense afloat now is record low interest rates. It is amusing to see people chanting about how great high prices are as less and less houses sell at those prices, a bit like having a shop full of mars bars that no one wants and standing outside chanting about how much you got for one last month, and how much more they will cost next month :rotfl: Add to this that rising prices make your next move more expensive and it is a classic example of greed ruling people`s thinking.

Similarly, putting a price tag on your potential house isn't much use if no one will sell it to you at that figure. Why prices are where they are is largely irrelevant if things aren't likely to change, and I can't see interest rates surging any time soon. You can only deal with what is happening, not what might have happened, or what should have happened....

House price inflation is indeed a funny beast, but then a crash or even deflation is equally funny - no one wants to sell something for less than what they paid for it, even if the subsequent purchase is correspondingly cheaper. Greed again, but after all, we're not rational economic agents.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure