Forum Home » Budgeting & Bank Accounts

MSE News: Martin Lewis hands MPs list of key questions TSB must answer

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: UPDATED MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH

New, free ‘Academoney’ course from MSE and the Open University launches
All the key areas of personal finance are covered, so that you can master your money decisions

MSE News: Martin Lewis hands MPs list of key questions TSB must answer

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Budgeting & Bank Accounts
37 replies 4.7K views
MSE_CallumMSE_Callum Forumite
663 posts
Second Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! Newshound!
✭✭
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Budgeting & Bank Accounts
MoneySavingExpert.com founder Martin Lewis has written to the chair of the Treasury Committee Nicky Morgan with a list of key facts we believe TSB should make public, ahead of the bank's appearance in front of the committee on Wednesday...
Read the full story:
'Martin Lewis hands MPs list of key questions TSB must answer'
OfficialStamp.gif
Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.
Read the latest MSE News
Flag up a news story: [email protected]
Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail

Replies

• KTFKTF Forumite
    4.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture
    ✭✭✭✭
    I see 'compo' was diplomatically put as #4 rather than #1 but why the expectation that TSB should pay out to everyone?

For example the DD for my TSB credit card was not taken. Without asking the interest was refunded and they sent me a letter explaining what had happened.

Did I suffer loss (no), was I inconvenienced (no, although the culture would say yes) so why the demand for compensation?

The people who have lost money to scammers only have themselves to blame but its always someone elses fault...
  • KTF wrote: »
    I see 'compo' was diplomatically put as #4 rather than #1 but why the expectation that TSB should pay out to everyone?

For example the DD for my TSB credit card was not taken. Without asking the interest was refunded and they sent me a letter explaining what had happened.

Did I suffer loss (no), was I inconvenienced (no, although the culture would say yes) so why the demand for compensation?

The people who have lost money to scammers only have themselves to blame but its always someone elses fault...

That's the way it goes these days. Mock outrage, hand-wringing and people always looking for a payout.

Obviously people who have suffered losses and major inconvenience should be fairly compensated. But I'm in a similar position to you (my bills account is with TSB) and it didn't really affect me apart from having to make one telephone call when the site was down. No big deal, no payout needed or wanted.
  • eskbankereskbanker Forumite
    13.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Since the select committee managed to find 156 probing questions to ask at TSB's appearance before them last month (as per transcript here), which unsurprisingly are a superset of this short list of the bleedin' obvious, this simply smacks of being another "look at me" Martin Lewis publicity stunt....

Did he really think that without his intervention they'd fail to ask when the problems will be fully fixed, and to push further if a date isn't forthcoming?
  • colstencolsten Forumite
    13.5K posts
    10,000 Posts Fifth Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    KTF wrote: »
    mchambers......
  • HerbalusHerbalus Forumite
    2.4K posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    There is not the remotest hope that these questions will be answered. Not even sure that these are in the public interest - what does the public gain by learning how many have switched away?

And #4 is just daft. TSB will not advise minimum compensation because compensation depends entirely on the circumstance and amount of inconvenience caused, hence why it is a case-by-case basis.
  • where_are_wewhere_are_we Forumite
    351 posts
    Eighth Anniversary 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    Thanks "KTF" - "The people who have lost money to scammers only have themselves to blame but its always someone elses fault...". So you can catagorically say that ALL people who have lost money to scammers only have themselves to blame. Recently I have been the victim of Sim-Swap and subsequent emptying of my TSB accounts. I do not click on emails, give information to callers, reply to texts and I shred my mail, have strong different passwords, use text alerts, use antivirus software etc but this did not prevent me being scammed. Some Mobile phone companies and some banks have inadequate security systems in place. I hope it never happens to you.
  • badmemorybadmemory Forumite
    3.5K posts
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Whilst I am sure many enjoy blaming the victims - how many of them would have been victims without the disaster caused by this spanish bank?
  • agrinnallagrinnall PPR
    23.3K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wasn't inconvenienced at all by TSB's problems but I'm already being compensated by receiving extra interest on my Classic Plus account every month. there was no need for them to pay that, and I wouldn't expect to get anything else.
  • AshenAshen Forumite
    557 posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts
    ✭✭
    Herbalus wrote: »
    There is not the remotest hope that these questions will be answered. Not even sure that these are in the public interest - what does the public gain by learning how many have switched away?

And #4 is just daft. TSB will not advise minimum compensation because compensation depends entirely on the circumstance and amount of inconvenience caused, hence why it is a case-by-case basis.
    Agreed. I'd say that several of them are daft. The first question - asking how many people were affected, and how many still have problems is absolutely meaningless as a figure without context of how serious, or if it actually has had an impact on the customer.

MSE describing those questions as "essential information" is just self-indulgent nonsense.
  • poppy10_2poppy10_2 Forumite
    6.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    KTF wrote: »
    Has this been marked as a missed payment on your credit reports?
    poppy10