Lost £79.99p on Fortnite.

Comments

• soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,186 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    molerat wrote: »
    You left your wallet open on the side and a man came to the door selling goodies. Your son decided he would like some so dipped into your wallet and bought them. Now who is to blame ?

I always think this is a good analogy , most of us (I hope) don't give children access to a bundle of ten pound notes or leave them lying around for anyone else to access, yet somehow doing the same online doesn't seem to count.

Online it is always someone else's fault.

OP, there have been instances where goodwill gestures have been made by companies, but as there are now warnings and things all over the internet now I suspect these goodwill gestures are getting fewer and fewer. It might be worth more one appeal to Epic games but otherwise you may have to use this as a lesson in staying safe online.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Paul_DNAP
    Paul_DNAP Posts: 751 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic Rampant Recycler
    Col81 wrote: »
    Hi, it was a debit card transaction and as it wasn't fraud they won't help. Epic games fired me off to Sony who say no refunds. How on earth can a 6 year old spend the money obviously wrongly and then it not be able to be refunded. Its a total con. Thank you

It is absolutely not a con at all. The first part of the terms of service for PSN state that the account holder must be over 18, and that anyone under 18 should be using a sub-account with effective parental controls.

(i) You are at least 18 years old
    If you are under 18 years old, you will need an Account known as a "Sub Account" for you to use and your parent or guardian will need to assist you in setting this up. If you are a parent or guardian, your responsibilities for your Sub Accounts are explained below.

So what YOU have done in allowing your child access to YOUR account not only breaks the terms of the service, it is also the same as simply handing YOUR debit card to the child and sending them into an unsupervised toyshop.
    (Although I could be wrong, I often am.)
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,473 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    dekaspace wrote: »
    To be fair, how many adults spend that much on say a few cosmetic items for a game such as clothes? Sure maybe £10 max for a game where that gets you a item that improves gameplay experience such as a shooting game when the default one is weak, slow, recoil and a paid one has one shot kills and no recoil. (I talk from experience though it was £5)

I'm not sure of your point?

The O/P agreed to terms and conditions upon sign up and then left their debit card capability in the hands of a 6 year old.

Harsh lesson, but its not a con. The O/P needs to take ownership of their mistake.
  • dekaspace
    dekaspace Posts: 5,705 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    motorguy wrote: »
    I'm not sure of your point?

The O/P agreed to terms and conditions upon sign up and then left their debit card capability in the hands of a 6 year old.

Harsh lesson, but its not a con. The O/P needs to take ownership of their mistake.

Point was, its a common sense argument against ownership of mistake, shame you had to bold that bit as if I wasn't intelligent enough to know.

Common sense is that someone wouldn't spent that much cosmetically in a normal circumstance.

The get out, is your response of it being a harsh lesson. I have been caught out in past by various things but whilst it was my mistake it was in such a way that almost anyone would of been caught out.

Or in other words it was the person being naive, doesn't justify it as such but its a whole different scenario than many people seem to be making out.
  • AstroTurtle
    AstroTurtle Posts: 290 Forumite
    You can't have it both ways.

Allow your child to play a 12+ game but then cry wolf when your 6 year old unknowingly spends real money on it.

Thats one of the reasons these games are rated age appropriate.
    Save £12k in 2019 -
  • silverwhistle
    silverwhistle Posts: 3,791 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I'm tremendously sympathetic to many posters on these boards for the plight they find themselves in.

But not in this case, I'm afraid. Just put the cost down to experience and learn from it.
  • Madbags
    Madbags Posts: 222 Forumite
    Yes put it down to experience.

My adult partner of 28 years old had a bit of a nervous breakdown and during this time she spent £100 in Bejeweled coins on my tablet as Google Play is linked to my debit card.

Did I bother trying to ask for a refund? No.

Did I set up a password straight afterwards? Yes.

You would expect it from a child but not an adult, though admittedly she wasn't of sound mind but still, just chalk it up to experience.
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,473 Forumite
    edited 15 June 2018 at 2:26PM
    dekaspace wrote: »
    Point was, its a common sense argument against ownership of mistake, shame you had to bold that bit as if I wasn't intelligent enough to know.

Common sense is that someone wouldn't spent that much cosmetically in a normal circumstance.

The get out, is your response of it being a harsh lesson. I have been caught out in past by various things but whilst it was my mistake it was in such a way that almost anyone would of been caught out.

Or in other words it was the person being naive, doesn't justify it as such but its a whole different scenario than many people seem to be making out.

Common sense would say dont let a 6 year old play a 12+ game?

Mistakes happen. I've made mistakes. More expensive ones than this i might add, but i dont go round trying to make it other peoples fault.

But then, theres little ownership by people in this country any more of their own mistakes or those of their children.
  • Lip_Stick
    Lip_Stick Posts: 2,415 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 24 June 2018 at 12:30PM
    Although I agree, that the OP should have had a password set up, I think it can be far too easy for transactions to be made on consoles. What I mean is that they should always ask for the security code, the three digit pin at least. It’s not hard for the main account holder to memorise or type in.

I have just paid for Xbox live for my son via his xbox and had no option to subscribe. ‘I will just turn off auto renewal’ I thought and delete the card. I went to delete the card but it said I had a subscription so couldn’t. I then tried to delete the subscription but there was no option to end it. I had to go onto a different device and log into his account and sort everything out from there. If I added things through Xbox, I should be able to delete them through that system too. Also I went to buy vbucks for him and his damn controller was faulty. I bought some, then his controller went trippy and selected them again, instantly buying them. There was no ‘are you sure you want to make this purchase’ or ‘please put in the 3 digit security code’.

Anyway, going back to the OP, I thought that was what the security code was for, so that someone couldn’t just buy things using your card. Can that be argued, that the code was not asked for?
    There's a storm coming, Mr Johnson. You and your friends better batten down the hatches, because when it hits, you're all gonna wonder how you ever thought you could live so large and leave so little for the rest of us.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Lip_Stick wrote: »
    Anyway, going back to the OP, I thought that was what the security code was for, so that someone couldn’t just buy things using your card. Can that be argued, that the code was not asked for?

Depends if it was setup in the OP's case.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure