sky tv

in TV MoneySaving
7 replies 1.6K views
aardvaakaardvaak Forumite
5.8K Posts
Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
✭✭✭✭
Why is sky tv so useless it is supposed to be cutting edge technology but has trouble getting signals through clouds on cloudy days?

Replies

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Forumite
    0 Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    MoneySaving Newbie
    aardvaak wrote: »
    Why is sky tv so useless it is supposed to be cutting edge technology but has trouble getting signals through clouds on cloudy days?
    Clouds have only the most minimal effect on the satellite signals being received. If your own Sky system is exhibiting this symptom, then the most likely reasons are that your dish is not properly aligned or you have a cabling fault.

The only time I've experienced a loss of signal due to the weather was during a particularly heavy snowstorm.

Please don't spam the forum with multiple duplicate threads..
  • Neil_JonesNeil_Jones Forumite
    6.7K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Really heavy thick clouds (the type that hide thunderstorms above them) can block signals, but this is the exception to the rule and you would probably need a shedload of rain (such as the amount that fell in the Midlands last weekend) to have any real effect.

If your signal goes bye bye every time a little cloud comes over, something is seriously wrong somewhere.
  • aardvaak, it could just be a signal strength issue.
    Ring Sky and tell them, and they will go through a couple of things, checking your signal strength, and if it is that, they can turn up the signal to your box, immediately.
    They did it with mine, and only snow on the dish is a problem now. Although that could be fixed if they could be bothered to supply the hood that goes over the LNB.
    0 Posts
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Ring Sky and tell them, and they will go through a couple of things, checking your signal strength, and if it is that, they can turn up the signal to your box, immediately.
    They did it with mine

Kudos to the agent that told you that and getting you to believe it.

Sorry, but they can't "turn up the signal" for individual customers.
  • giraffe69giraffe69 Forumite
    3.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    You can see the signal strength for yourself by going into the settings menu.
    0 Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    MoneySaving Newbie
    You need to understand how satellite TV works. The TV signals are beamed over a wide area and reception is simply a case of pointing the dish in exactly the right direction. Sky cannot control the strength of the signal your individual box receives.
    Obviously, whatever fixed your reception was the other "couple of things" they went through.
    only snow on the dish is a problem now. Although that could be fixed if they could be bothered to supply the hood that goes over the LNB.
    Fitting a hood over the LNB would just block the signal if it covered enough of it to stop snow.

If you have seen snow hoods that you believe would stop snow from interfering with reception, I strongly recommend you don't waste money purchasing one.
    giraffe69 wrote: »
    You can see the signal strength for yourself by going into the settings menu.
    You can indeed, but it's not very useful for identifying a particular fault..
  • almillaralmillar Forumite
    8.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    they can turn up the signal to your box, immediately.

Turn up the signal, from a satellite, in orbit, transmitting across a good part of Europe, to YOUR box? I think you might be getting confused with phonelines/broadband.

aardvaak - there's something wrong with your setup. The only time I've had problems has been in snow, often because it has settled on the dish. You dish, LNB and cabling is out in all weathers, and could be misaligned or damaged. Questioning the entire technology which has served us well for decades is a bit daft.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides