Tricked by Credit Hire firm 2 months hire @ £30K!

Options

Comments

• EddySub19
    EddySub19 Posts: 30 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I think I’ll just have to wait and see if they come after me, then get dragged to court. I’ll try not to give them a penny.
  • EddySub19
    Options
    The impecuniousity i can prove as I have paperwork of the house sale at the time and I showed them all my bank statements that they asked for.
  • EddySub19
    Options
    Ironically if you had claimed for repairs under your own policy and financed the hire car unde your own finances. The claim would have been likely settled far quicker and you would have received the hire costs in full without dispute in liability

Yes hindsight could be a wonderful thing, if i was informed of all this at the start by my insurance or from TP's insurance then I would definitely have gone down that route.
  • rs65
    rs65 Posts: 5,682 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Insurers carry out checks at the point of a loss to ensure the policy and claim are valid. There is a legal reason that you are not checked at inception, but I won't bore you with that!

I'm curious - what's the legal reason?
  • Rams007
    Options
    Hi , sorry to bump this thread but what was the outcome of the OP? regards
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Options
    OP not logged in since last Sept

Try a PM and see if that gets a response
  • EdGasketTheSecond
    Options
    Probably in debtors prison now then :(
  • EddySub19
    Options
    Hi Ed, guys,

No still alive, still waiting. Now the case has gone well over the 3 year mark. No one, nor my solicitor has contacted since. I have informally offered a sensible amount of £1200 to the credit hire firm via my acting solicitor, who I think is colluding with the Credit Hire firm in the first place. They both have offices nearby in the same town.

Had they not prolonged my car repair and had I gone to a car hire firm myself and booked a normal car, the car hire fee would have been possibly a lot less than this. If they have the nerve to ask for £30k I'll tell them where to go. There is no way possible on earth that any judge, even the worst of the worst could sensibly allow these 'Loan Hire Car Sharks' that amount of money for 2 months of car hire. Also despite the many commentators on this forum who were deliberately trying to worry me, I have spoken to various individuals who work for private car hire firms themselves. They all said that I should be fine as they've never heard of even one of them succesfully suing a motorist caught in their trap.

I think the worst aspect of this whole ordeal is that I thought I was getting a courtesy car when in actual fact I was inadvertently taking out a loan at an extortionate interest rate. Even pay day loans are capped and at least people know what they are signing for. Whereas in this situation you assume the other party's insurance will pay for it until you realize they simply don't
  • Takmon
    Takmon Posts: 1,738 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    EddySub19 wrote: »
    I think the worst aspect of this whole ordeal is that I thought I was getting a courtesy car when in actual fact I was inadvertently taking out a loan at an extortionate interest rate. Even pay day loans are capped and at least people know what they are signing for. Whereas in this situation you assume the other party's insurance will pay for it until you realize they simply don't

I don't think you deserve much sympathy for this situation you put yourself in. You acknowledged in the OP that you saw how high the hire costs were when you signed it and you were expecting an insurance company to pay this; these kinds of things are what makes insurance premiums so high for everyone. So it's good that the insurance company refused to pay it.

But i think you have probably learned your lesson now not to sign things without reading them and not to expect insurance companies to pay extortionate bills.
  • EddySub19
    Options
    No, I never knew until i was told 2 years later what the daily hire costs were so that's wrong. Neither have I stated that anywhere above. Who are you really?
    Also don't care for your sympathy. What is the meaning of insurance if its not even there to pay for alternative arrangements to get you back on the road after a car accident? Are you so naive to even think that they would suddenly drop all their extortionate premiums if no one claimed?

Finally this is the kind of situation where someone is asking for your open cheque book. No body actually knows how long the hire will be for, so the fees are practically unlimited ...or to the 2 months limit anyway which is where this firm prolonged the simple repairs to. They give you a car, trick you into a contract you're not sure you are paying into, then raise the costs completely in their control for hire and storage fees. This is basically a fraud in itself.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback