MSE News: Visa outage across Europe leaves shoppers struggling to pay

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Credit Cards
38 replies 5.4K views
MSE_SteveMSE_Steve MSE Staff
79 posts
Fifth Anniversary Combo Breaker Newshound! Chutzpah Haggler
MSE Staff
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Credit Cards
Shoppers have been struggling to pay for goods due to a major Visa outage which has affected transactions across Europe...
Read the full story:
'Visa outage across Europe leaves shoppers struggling to pay'
OfficialStamp.gif
Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.

Replies

• stclairstclair Forumite
    6.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    That makes sense my card kept declining in McDonalds earlier.
    Im an ex employee RBS Group
    However Any Opinion Given On MSE Is Strictly My Own
  • BrowntoaBrowntoa Forumite, Board Guide
    48.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Apparently they just moved their banking to the TSB :);)
    Links in my signature currently broken
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's , Boost your income and Discount Code boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum runnning smoothly .However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to [email protected] Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • jackieblackjackieblack Forumite
    9.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well that explains why I got an email from Amazon this afternoon saying the payment had been declined on an order I'd just made. I think(hope) it's gone through at the second attempt...
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter
    South facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading
    Everything will be alright in the end so, if it’s not yet alright, it means it’s not yet the end
    MFW #4 OPs: 2018 £866.89, 2019 £1322.33, 2020 £1337.07,
    2021 (offset) YTD £410.00
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
  • capital0necapital0ne Forumite
    872 posts
    500 Posts Second Anniversary
    ✭✭✭
    Radio 5 Live says check your statements, some declined debits have made it through to your account - as someone above said, it's been processed by TSB!

I've also heard that it's a massive hack but the banks will never admit that.
  • LukasDLukasD Forumite
    4 posts
    I wonder if this Russian hackers could delete my debts? I would very appreciate.
    On the serious note it only shows that is very good idea to always have some cash.
    Overdraft £4000 now £3000
    Credit Cards £4150 now £3900
    Personal Loan £5000 now £3400
    Car hire purchase £17000 now £12000
    Pay day loan £500 now £0
  • HornetSaverHornetSaver Forumite
    3.7K posts
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    I was in a supermarket earlier, and its cash machines were empty. The next nearest ones are quite a distance away.

The hassle that shop assistants were getting was atrocious. In many cases from those old enough to know from a previous bad experience that it's always wise to have a backup plan, and in all cases from those old enough to know better.
  • glider3560glider3560 Forumite
    4.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    capital0ne wrote: »
    Radio 5 Live says check your statements, some declined debits have made it through to your account - as someone above said, it's been processed by TSB!
    TSB show all authorisations under the "Pending Transactions" section, whether a payment was made or not. It will disappear in a few days.

• RobisereRobisere Forumite
    3.2K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    I always pick up my grandson on Mondays and Fridays from his workplace. Today, as I often do on Fridays, I took him to Morrison's for groceries and his TSB card was declined. Rather than have a go at the checkout girl, he asked her to hold the items and went to the in store ATM, which was working and had cash.

There were a few others giving the staff grief, but the large Security guy calmed them down. How can these idiots blame poorly-paid "Sharp End" staff for something that is totally beyond their control? The prevalent attitudes today consist of entitlement and blame.
    I think this job really needs
    a much bigger hammer.
  • moleratmolerat Forumite
    24.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not only do I ensure I have more than one card in my wallet I also keep both Visa and Mastercard.
  • EctophileEctophile Forumite
    5.2K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    I was in Aldi this afternoon. All the checkouts just stopped, with the queues getting longer and longer. Now I know why.

Luckily, they opened a checkout for cash only when they realised what was happening.
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.