PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Personal equity release by friend

My partner and I would like to setup a personal equity release/home reversion or similar, on my property (flat). Will it be easy to get one drawn up by a solicitor or is there a better scheme?

The plan is that she lends me say £100K and I leave her the total property and contents valued at say £190K. I get to live in the flat until I die or move in to a nursing home.

It suits us both as we want to go off travelling in our retirement and she has more cash than me. In return, I have no family and I'm prepared to leave the property to her. (and probably other cash too).

We are approaching 70 and both think it's a good deal. There are many other advantages for us, too many to mention.

We would consider other schemes like a house share or loan secured on the property but don't think they would be as good. Stamp duty and lease issues could be a problem. My partner rents her house from family at present and may want to buy a property later. When the equity release is setup, who actually owns the property? Any other things to consider?

Comments

• p00hsticks
    p00hsticks Posts: 12,765 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    If I were your partner I'd want an appropriate proportion of the property transferred into my name at the point at which I gave you £100k, rather than just a promise that you'd leave it to me when you die (presumably in a will whcih you could subsequently alter at any later point).

I believe that's how true equity release would work.
  • tacpot12
    tacpot12 Posts: 7,929 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 31 May 2018 at 11:34PM
    You definitely need to consult a solicitor in order to set this up.

You might be better off selling them half the house and leaving them your share of the property in your will. A solicitor will know all the options and be able to advise you on the best one. They might insist that two separate solicitors represent each of you to avoid a conflict of interest. While this might sound expensive, both of you need to consider the pros and cons of each possible arrangement, from your own perspectives.
    The comments I post are my personal opinion. While I try to check everything is correct before posting, I can and do make mistakes, so always try to check official information sources before relying on my posts.
  • whitejohn
    whitejohn Posts: 216 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    p00hsticks wrote: »
    If I were your partner I'd want an appropriate proportion of the property transferred into my name at the point at which I gave you £100k, rather than just a promise that you'd leave it to me when you die (presumably in a will whcih you could subsequently alter at any later point).

It would be a legal contract drawn up by a solicitor and nothing to do with a will that can be changed. I would also need to make sure I could not be evicted at any point. I'm happy to sell a share and do it that way but my partner wants to avoid owning 2 properties if possible.
  • whitejohn
    tacpot12 wrote: »
    You definitely need to consult a solicitor in order to set this up.

You might be better off selling them half the house and leaving them your share of the property in your will. A solicitor will know all the options and be able to advise you on the best one. They might insist that two separate solicitors represent each of you to avoid a conflict of interest.

We thought maybe best to seek financial advice on the best scheme first and then have the solicitor draw up the contract. Selling a half share may well be the way to go except for the stamp duty if my partner buys another house.
  • Pixie5740
    Pixie5740 Posts: 14,515 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Equity release is essentially a loan so your partner could place a charge against the property when she lends you the £100k. That wouldn't make her a legal owner of the property but would protect her money. I'm not quite sure of the ins and outs of her becoming a beneficial owner though since she is lending you the money to potentially inherit the property further down the line.
  • whitejohn
    Pixie5740 wrote: »
    Equity release is essentially a loan so your partner could place a charge against the property when she lends you the £100k. That wouldn't make her a legal owner of the property but would protect her money. I'm not quite sure of the ins and outs of her becoming a beneficial owner though since she is lending you the money to potentially inherit the property further down the line.

That sounds like the simplest solution all round.
    I'm sure a solicitor could arrange something on the lines that
    The loan is re-payable on death of the borrower.
    No interest is payable on the loan but as compensation the lender becomes the legal owner of the property on death of the borrower.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure