IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

June 2018 - start of the new PPC and DVLA fightback (GDPR related)

Options

Comments

• lanethomp
    Options
    Dataprotection@ncp.co.uk is the address for NCP
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 133,860 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    I bet that form of email addy 'dataprotection@' is worth trying for any PPC.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • Computersaysno
    Options
    info@
    enforcement@
    appeal@
    privacy@
    accounts@
    payment@
    cs@

and finally....heresmymoneytakeit@
  • Syteanric
    Options
    what can we do if the PPC has no data protection or privacy notice information on their website?

would this be grounds to drop a parking charge under grounds of data security and potential breach at all?
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Options
    Unlikely,!

They don't cancel (if that's what you mean by "drop") lightly! (IPC companies simply never cancel whatever grounds on the apoeal)
  • beamerguy
    beamerguy Posts: 17,587 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Syteanric wrote: »
    what can we do if the PPC has no data protection or privacy notice information on their website?

would this be grounds to drop a parking charge under grounds of data security and potential breach at all?

In a word NO ..... Many of the PPC's websites are junk,
    kids could do better so don't expect them to understand
    about data protection.
  • Missaver
    Options
    I had also sent an email to the DVLA as per the opening post. Here is their reply :

Thank you for your email of 25th September 2018 about the release of information from the Driver
    and Vehicle Licensing Agency’s (DVLA) vehicle register.
    The DVLA takes the protection and security of its data very seriously and has procedures in place
    to ensure data is disclosed only where it is lawful and fair to do so and where the provisions of the
    Data Protection Law are met. The Agency must strike a balance between ensuring the privacy of
    motorists is respected while enabling those who may have suffered loss or damage to seek
    redress.
    Regulation 27 (1)(e) of the Road Vehicles (Registration and Licensing) Regulations 2002 permits
    the disclosure of vehicle keeper information to those who can demonstrate a reasonable cause for
    needing it. The release of information under this legislation is not based on the consent of the
    data subject. Regulation 27 provides a legal gateway for the release of information. Disclosure in
    these circumstances does not breach the Data Protection Law and the Information
    Commissioner’s Office is fully aware that data held on the DVLA’s records is released in this way.

Private and Public sector organisations receive vehicle keeper data on the condition that it will only
    be used in connection with an enquiry relating to identifying a driver for an alleged parking
    contravention on private land. Information disclosed from the DVLA’s vehicle records must only be
    used for the purpose it was provided and not be further processed for any other purpose.
    Recipients of DVLA information are bound by contract and subject to audit by their relevant
    Accredited Trade Association (ATA), the DVLA and the Government Internal Audit Agency (GIAA).
    You have asked for confirmation that your data will not be made available electronically. The
    DVLA would not be able to justify withholding personal information from third parties able to
    demonstrate reasonable cause without evidence that such disclosure would cause unwarranted
    and substantial distress or damage. If you feel that your particular circumstances meet these
    criteria, the DVLA would be happy to consider this matter.
    In exceptional circumstances, when an individual is at particular risk, a marker may be placed
    against their vehicle record to highlight this risk to the staff member considering the request for
    information. However, in order for the risk to be assessed, you would need to provide evidence to
    support this request and supply the registration mark of the vehicle(s)

If you wish to have this marker placed against your vehicle record(s), please write to Vehicle
    Enquiry Section, DVLA, Longview Road, Morriston, Swansea SA99 1AJ. The evidence described
    earlier should be enclosed, along with the vehicle registration mark(s) of the vehicle(s). I should
    point out that any marker would apply only to the specific vehicle(s) requested.
    I trust I have explained matters but, if you remain unhappy with the service you have received, you
    can write to our Complaints Team and I have provided a link to our complaints procedure for your
    reference:https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/driver-and-vehicle-licensingagency/about/complaints-procedure

I don't think they answered me fully!
  • abedegno
    Options
    Missaver wrote: »
    I don't think they answered me fully!

They didn't answer me either - I suggest raising the issue with the ICO - this is what I did.

Thanks

Abe
  • LoneStarState
    LoneStarState Posts: 107 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 7 January 2019 at 7:24PM
    Options
    SAR submitted to Britannia a month ago......

Reminder sent yesterday with a complaint to the ICO imminent due to no response.

Data protection team email address: [EMAIL="dpt@britpark.com"]dpt@britpark.com[/EMAIL]

Privacy Policy is available to read here:
    https://www.britannia-parking.co.uk/CMS/Content/MainSitePDFs/69393784-b99d-425a-8a4b-fc76e291d2a2.pdf

I can tell you it does not make for good reading. Section 6 with regards to storage is particularly worrying:

"6.1
    We will generally store the Personal Data that we hold in relation to you for the duration of our relationship with you and for SEVEN YEARS (my emphasis) after that relationship ends. This is the period during which we are required to maintain records of each contract.

Please note that if we have taken enforcement action against you on more than one occasion, we may maintain a record of any persistent infringements or enforcement action for longer than seven years following the last incident."

They claim in 6.1 that 7 years is the duration they are required to keep records. That can't be true can it? I know earlier in this thread someone posted that ParkingEye "anonymise" (supposedly) their data after 12 months. There is of course no mention of that in this Britannia policy.

Time to contact the ICO about this in addition to their woeful response to the SAR.

Parasites
  • nosferatu1001
    nosferatu1001 Posts: 12,961 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    They cannot be required to hold detailed records on expired contracts for that long
    We purge after 3 years from contract end, and thats for an actual real in person signed contract, not some !!!!!!!! signs.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport